JIRA admin test environment

Darya_Koyfman August 24, 2017

I'm JIRA administrator, not a programmer. We use JIRA for engineering processing, and I lead these processes. As an admin, I have to sometimes change/upgrade processes and this includes change of workflows, schemes, screens, etc. I know I have to work with the copy first, and then tag the project to the new version of whatever was changed. But now, I have a tremendous change of a workflow, and I'm afraid to screw up the production by loosing data or somehow else.

Our IT created the snapshot backup of the existing JIRA. Should this be ebough for rollback in case of a problem, or we need to create test environment and what's the best way to do it?

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vijay Sv September 6, 2017

Always use TEST or DEV instances of Jira instead making changes on the Live production system.

Once you validate all the changes in TEST, use workflow import/export (local system) to move new workflow in Prod.  

Importants:

>> Refresh your TEST or DEV DB instances with Production Copy and re-index the instance. So that you get latest data to workon.

>> Old Status and new status mappings need during migration(from TEST to Prod).

Good Luck!

Vj

1 vote
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2017

Hi Darya,

I always recommend making changes and testing in a test environment before making those changes in a production environment so you can judge the impact on the instance.

In the event something goes wrong with your workflows the XML backup should be enough to restore JIRA, however, you may also want to export the workflow you're going to modify as an additional backup.

You can restore a copy of your instance to another clean installed instance and license it with a dev license to test.  I have included some additional resources that should help you get started:

Working with workflows

Managing your workflows

Backing Up Data

Rolling back a JIRA application upgrade

Cheers,

Branden

Darya_Koyfman August 28, 2017

Thank you Brandon!

0 votes
vivuu November 29, 2017

Now Our Prod setup- JIRA -7.1.9 in Windows server and it should be migrated to linux machine in another domain with a different url .

currently in windows the atlassin application are running behind reverse proxy and for authentication we are using crowd internal directory ?

So please let us know what are the steps need to be implemented for data migration to new instance in the linux (windows to linux )

using MSSQl DB in both environment

0 votes
vivuu November 14, 2017

Can you please explain how we can create a Test environment of Jira from the PROd.

Jira version 7,1.9, Windows server 

DB - MSSQL 2012

Vijay Sv November 14, 2017

Here you go..

1. Take a Database backup of production DB

2.  Install the Jira version in window server and configure with the TEST db server.

3. Set-up the required test base URL.

4. Disable notifications.

5.  Once you set-up new Jira TEST instance and connected to required DB (should be pointing to Jira TEST DB), restore the production DB copy in TEST database.

6. Stop Jira Services and remove the cache from the application home directory and restart the services.

7. Run "Lock and re-index" and once it's complete revisit the base url and change it to TEST jira url. 

Note: Make sure you have disabled the notifications from TEST instance.

Thanks,

Vijay 

Like Shrikant Wagh likes this
vivuu November 14, 2017

Thanks Vijay. Will follow the steps

vivuu November 14, 2017

As the Prod Db is already restored by the DB team in TESt environment , We have installed the new Jira instane in test environment and we cant map the restored DB with the new Jira Test instance.

Getting elow error while mapping it with the restored DB

"You have specified a database that is not empty, please specify an empty database. If you want to upgrade an existing installation, please follow these instructions instead."

vivuu November 15, 2017

We are still getting same PROD server ID , Senkey and License reflecting in the Test environment. What is wrong here and how it will impact prod server

Vijay Sv November 15, 2017

SEN and License key should be OK. Changing server ID is not essential but if you want to change Server ID for your TEST instance please follow below KB.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changing-server-id-for-test-installations-285839562.html

Note: Make sure your TEST instance is pointing to TEST Database.

vivuu November 15, 2017

Hi Vijay, 

Sorry if its not clear for you..

We followed the steps and , after restoring everything from Prod (DB, Home flder) In Test server, We have noticed that the test environment has been taken the same license from PROD.

So we are worrying about where it got the link with PROD still now and will it impact anything.
Why the test environment license is not reflecting and what we have to do now here without making any change to PROD

You should not use the same licence, that's for production.

You don't need a second licence for testing though - go to your atlassian licences on my.atlassian and look for the licence keys to the right. Under there, there is a link to "developer licence" - use that for testing!

and for changing Server ID please go thru : https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changing-server-id-for-test-installations-285839562.html

vivuu November 15, 2017

Thanks For your advise 

But here in our infra , the Jira is already licensed and we dont have the Atlassian account of that to get the developer license for the test environment.

Can you please advise, How can get the Developer license for the Test environment by using the PROD license Sen-key

Do you know who is the License owner for your Jira?

The license holder should be able login to My.Atlassian account (URL : https://my.atlassian.com)  to generate the license (there are step by step instructions at https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/purchase-licensing#licensing-9).

vivuu November 15, 2017

Thanks Vijay,

For now can we use the First test instance evaluation license key itself.?

If we can use it, 

can we copy and paste the key over the test instance now and will it update in the test db tables.

Will it make any problem with the PRod instance.

(Hope, as the Test jira instance is linked to only TEST DB and revovng and putting bevaluation license in Test environment instance wont make any issue in PROD.)

For the time being , can we do this and later once we get the developer license of PROD, shall we replace the evaluation license with the Developer One ?

Yes, you can use evaluation license till u get developer license, and yea if your Jira test instance is pointing to test database and you have test url, it should be fine. You can go ahead.. 

*click on vote button , if everything works fine with your test instance* 

Suggest an answer