JIRA Structure Resource Usage

Yuta Nagano June 23, 2020

Does anyone know how Jira decides if a resource is booked for too much work? I understand that more points means more of their effort is required, but doesn't that mean that Jira then assumes that a certain amount of points always takes a certain amount of days to accomplish? Does it take into account past sprints? I am using points to measure the velocity of my team, and also percentage as an indicator for how much work each developer is tackling. I am trying to figure out the resource usage is calculated on the back end - any ideas?

Thank you,

Yuta

1 answer

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2020

Hi @Yuta Nagano ,

It's a good question, as the calculations for obtaining velocity are not intuitive.

First, let me clarify that Jira does not assume any conversions from Story Points into time.

The Velocity Chart is calculated by taking the average of the total completed estimates over the last several sprints.

More information on how to understand the Velocity Chart:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/view-and-understand-the-velocity-chart/

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events