JIRA Service Desk: How to set up Email protocol SMTP?

SENGE December 4, 2015

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Receiving requests by email

I want to allow to create a request via e- mail , but there is no  Email Protocol SMTP in "Set up chanel email " to Other in JIRA Service Desk version 2.5.9, my Mail Server only uses SMTP. What I do?

2 answers

1 vote
SENGE December 10, 2015

Daniel Pinheiro dos Santos, thank you for the explanations!

Our mail accounts do not have connections using IMAP or POP because we only use MS Exchange ( Active Sync) with Outlook Anywhere. The problem is exactly that Jira does not have this option Microsoft to receive emails for the Exchange. To send email no problem, because Jira has SMTP.

What to do?

0 votes
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2015

Hi Senge,

I did not quite understand you question.

The SMTP protocol is used to send emails not to receive.

Service Desk will need to receive emails so it will need to use the IMAP or POP protocols to be able to fetch emails in the email box and process them as new requests.

After processing the request and creating the new issue, Service Desk is able to notify the users by using the email configured as Outgoing Mail in JIRA, but at this time it will use the SMTP protocol since JIRA will send a message not receive it.

Usually most of mail accounts can be configured to allow connections using the IMAP or POP, so I believe you can find a way to configure yours.

I hope I could correctly understand your problem and give you a useful answer.

Suggest an answer