JIRA Scriptrunner Sql Server configuration

Jeanne Dixon April 11, 2017

I am trying to set up a Scriptrunner script to access a sql server database outside of JIRA. I am using the script console to attempt to execute the following code:

import java.sql.*;
import java.util.Date;
import groovy.sql.Sql;
import com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.User;
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;
import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue;

import org.apache.log4j.Logger;
import org.apache.log4j.Level;

def log = Logger.getLogger("com.acme.CreateSubtask");

log.setLevel(Level.DEBUG);

ApplicationUser appUser = ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser();
User user = appUser.getDirectoryUser();
def dDate = new Date().format('MM/dd/yyy');
def driver = Class.forName('com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver').newInstance() as Driver;

def props = new Properties();
props.setProperty("user", "user");
props.setProperty("password", "password");

def conn = driver.connect("jdbc:sqlserver://myserver/mydb", props);
def sql = new Sql(conn);

sql.close();
    conn.close();

I have put the sqljdbc4.jar file in the JIRA/lib directory as I found on this discussion site, but it is giving me the java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver error. I have tried to find out how to fix this but nothing seems to be working. I have tried putting this file in different locations, and setting the CLASSPATH environment variable but nothing is working. Do i need to install the .jar file somehow? What am I missing that is keeping this from making the sql server connection?

2 answers

0 votes
Jeanne Dixon April 21, 2017

I should have posted this sooner, but I found the solution. First, after doing some trial and error testing, I found that I needed the sqljdbc4.jar file. (I am connecting to SQL Server 2005.) I also found I had to copy it to the C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\lib directory. I also didn't need to put in the CLASSPATH variable.

So there isn't anything to "install", you just have to know which is the right version of the sqljdbc file you need and that it goes in the JIRA/lib directory where you have JIRA installed on your server.

0 votes
Jonny Carter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2017

I can see that the driver in question is available in a public maven repo. What if you tried getting the jar file via @Grab?

// https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.microsoft.sqlserver/sqljdbc4
@Grapes(
    @Grab(group='com.microsoft.sqlserver', module='sqljdbc4', version='4.0')
)

import com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.User
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser
import groovy.sql.Sql
import org.apache.log4j.Level
import org.apache.log4j.Logger

import java.sql.Driver

def log = Logger.getLogger("com.acme.CreateSubtask")

log.setLevel(Level.DEBUG)

ApplicationUser appUser = ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser()
User user = appUser.getDirectoryUser()
def dDate = new Date().format('MM/dd/yyy')
def driver = Class.forName('com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver').newInstance() as Driver

def props = new Properties()
props.setProperty("user", "user")
props.setProperty("password", "password")

def conn = driver.connect("jdbc:sqlserver://myserver/mydb", props)
def sql = new Sql(conn)

sql.close()
conn.close()

Suggest an answer