JIRA Quick Search result order

danna deaton November 15, 2018

Maybe I missed it in the documentation and site searches, but can anyone tell me what order Quick Search results are displayed in?  For example, we have many projects in our Server instance of JIRA, if you search for "ORA-02292"  it is in the summary for 33 issues in 2 different projects.  It seems as though JIRA is showing the Quick Search results in a random order.  My assumption is that it displays in either the order of most recently edited, created or viewed, but I don't know which. 

We have a user who thinks it should be displaying issues in his project in the list then issues in the other project and doesn't want to have to click on the "View all matching issues" link at the bottom of the list to see them all.  I would like to be able to explain to the user how the Quick Search field actually works.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2018

The list seems to be ordered by lastViewed; this can be seen by choosing the "View all issues" link in the quick search drop-down of choices - it will load a screen of issues, with the JQL ending with "ORDER BY lastViewed DESC"

-Payne

danna deaton November 16, 2018

How in the world did I miss that?  Thank you!.

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2018

Hi @danna deaton,

If it follows what I'm seeing in my Cloud instance, the Quick Search sorts by the issue key field. Of course, that is assuming that the search function that is on the left navigation bar in Cloud is the same or similar to the Quick Search in the server menu bar. Here are two links for the different versions:

Server

Cloud

Hope this helps,

-Scott

danna deaton November 15, 2018

Thanks for the link to the Quick Search documentation, I did actually start my research there and found no mention of result order. 

In my case, it is not returning the issues in order of the issue key field.

Quick Search.png

Suggest an answer