JIRA Post Function - Update Issue Field - Assignee - Send the Assignee an Email

perdue_brandon_vast-inc_com September 21, 2017

Hello All - 

In my JIRA workflow there are many steps (via Post Function) where I update the Issue field to assign the Issue to a user associated with the project. What I want to happen is that when a user gets assigned an Issue, I want that person to receive a JIRA email notification. 

I have my Notification Scheme in that Issue Created, Issue Updated, and Issue Assigned all notify "Current Assignee." At this point none of the users receive an email when assigned an Issue throughout the workflow. 

Does anyone know how I can implement this? Thanks in advance. 

2 answers

0 votes
Jonathan Muse October 3, 2017

This might have something to do with the order in which the post functions are executed. You want to make sure that your post function is executed before you fire an event (closer to the top of the list). You also want to make sure you are firing one of the events you mentioned in your question and not just as a generic event for that transition.

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2017

Brandon, If you are open to the add-on route, I use JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions for this.  There is an Email Issue post function that is pretty robust and could handle this.  

-peter

perdue_brandon_vast-inc_com September 22, 2017

Hi Peter - 

Thanks for your help. I will look into the add-on. 

I was just hoping that a simple post function could send an email to an assigned user. It would be great if said email to user would also have a link for the Issue that has been assigned. Does this concept not exist? 

Suggest an answer