JIRA - Migration Server > Cloud

Manuel Meinhard March 5, 2018

Hello!

I know there are already much posts in place but none of them seems to get the whole picture for me.

Current situation:

• We are planning to migrate from JIRA Server to Cloud
  • At the moment we are updating our JIRA Server version to prevent from trouble during migration

Two questions I am currently facing:

1. If there are existing projects within the JIRA Cloud instance - is it recommended to import the Server export data to the Cloud instance or not? Will all data be merged or is it recommended to start from scratch with a clean Cloud Account? I cannot find a clear answer regarding that.
  2. When I follow this manual - will all attachments from tickets be migrated or not? I saw posts where this also is not clear.

Maybe anyone also migrated from Server to Cloud version and can help or share some experiences?

Thanks a lot in advance

Manuel

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2018

A direct import of the full xml from Server to Cloud will overwrite your existing Cloud data, all of it.

Merging is a different story, generally you'll do an incomplete one, unless you want to download your whole Cloud system, do an on-server merge and then re-upload the results in full (again, scrubbing over the existing Cloud system)

In the post you've linked to, I'm afraid the commenter is quite simply wrong.  If you follow the documentation, you can import attachments, avatars and logos.  You should ignore their mistakes.

Manuel Meinhard March 5, 2018

Thanks a lot @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-!

For the merge: Okay - we are talking about a manual file merge, right (means there is no built in process for that)?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2018

Well, sort of.

When you are on Server, you can manually create a project with all the right settings, then use "project import" to import all the issues for it from another Jira backup.  There are add-ons that can help you migrate config over as well - Project Configurator and Configuration Manager are the two I've worked with. 

That's not an option for Cloud, so you can't really do any merges.  The best you can do is imports from CSV

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2018

Suggest an answer