JIRA I'm getting a authentication failure when I setup a incoming mail server with Secure_POP3.

Svea Michel October 12, 2016

We have a new Exchange server in a new domain and a new network zone. All mailboxes from the old domain were transferred to the new server with existing access rights, settings, passwords and so on. The only difference is that now I have to use Secure_POP3 instead of POP3 at the old server. After some technical issues I can contact the new server but I can't logon to the mailbox. Every time I test the connection I get that error message:

"AuthenticationFailedException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."

If I try to logon to Outlook WebAccess it works. In JIRA I tried different combinations (IMHO all possible) for domain and username. Secure_POP3 is enabled. All neccessary ports are opened in the internal firewall. The certificates of the mail server is imported to the JIRA key store. My network admins told me every thing is well configured and in the JIRA logs I didn't find a reason for that behaviour. We switched from Exchange 2010 to 2013.

Does anyone had similar issue and found a solution? Please help!

BR Stefan

4 answers

0 votes
Svea Michel October 21, 2016

Finally it wasn't an JIRA issue. My server admins have misconfigurred our new Exchange Server. Now everything works fine.

Calvin Baldwin November 21, 2018

What was the issue with Exchange Server?

Svea Michel November 22, 2018

Hi Calvin! Sorry, I don't know the reason anymore. It's too long ago. Our Exchange-Server is supported by an external provider and I'm to far away from exchange administration. As far as I remember it was an issue with an additional component which works in front of the Exchange server and misconfigured permissions.

0 votes

I found only in atlassian-jira.log and catalina.out error messages which are related to a connection attempt.

I'm sure that username and password are correct because I can logon to the Outlook Web Access. I've already tried different combinations of username and domain name as I read in that article:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/configuring-a-mail-handler-fails-due-to-logon-failure-unknown-user-name-or-bad-password-125698050.html

atlassian-jira.log:

2016-10-12 16:33:36,977 http-bio-8443-exec-323 ERROR stefan.michel 
993x197472x1 17tjbbc 10.33.9.184 
/secure/admin/VerifyPopServerConnection!update.jspa 
[plugins.mail.webwork.VerifyMailServer] Unable to connect to the server 
at 10.33.0.12 due to the following exception: 
javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: Logon failure: unknown user 
name or bad password.
2016-10-12 16:34:07,325 
http-bio-8443-exec-318 ERROR stefan.michel 994x197523x1 17tjbbc 
10.33.9.184 /secure/admin/VerifyPopServerConnection!update.jspa 
name or bad password.

catalina.out:

2016-10-13 08:40:06,523 http-bio-8443-exec-297 ERROR 
stefan.michel 520x212405x1 eyj8af 10.33.9.184 
/secure/admin/VerifyPopServerConnection!add.jspa 
name or bad password.
Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2016

This is  great, Hope you have enetered the correct credential. If that is the case, JIRA not able to contact the mail server which you mentioned in host name. Could you please check with your mail server team to make is there any firewall blocked or not.

0 votes

I'm already using port 995. Only 2 ports (995 and 25 for SMTP) are opened at the internal firewall to the other server zone.

Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2016

Can you please post the JIRA system log to investigate more details?

0 votes
Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2016

Please make sure you have uses the SECURE_POP port as 995 and let us post the result

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events