JIRA CORE incoming emails : Non JIRA users can't email tasks?

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

Environment: JIRA Core Server

Due to licensing, not all users will be able to have JIRA here. In efforts to allow them to get content into JIRA projects for others to work, we have set up mailboxes and mail handlers.

What we are running into is non-jira user's emails are stuck in the mailboxes while JIRA user's emails flow though fine.

Do non-JIRA users require a license even though the mail handler changes the reporter over to JIRA Admin?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/comments-and-issues-not-created-from-the-incoming-email-handler-779160665.html

Can someone confirm? Also, if so, is there a workaround I can do from my end?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

Hi Jonathan, if reporter is being changed then emails should be working as expected. A workaround I can think is to use issue collectors instead of email. That might work as well

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2020

Yeah, I am using the JIRA service account as the reporter so users know stuff is coming in via email. I'll check out the issue collectors suggestion.  If that doesn't work, we may be able to do some fancy mail routing from the LOTUS NOTES end. 

I bold that because people can't believe we utilize it still :) 

Like # people like this
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2020

Let me know how it goes

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2020

Doubling down here. Issue collectors should do the trick for you

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2020

@Fernando Bordallo I think I need more info on the mail handler piece. If I am changing the mail handler so Reporter = JIRA Admin (nested in jira-administrators), shouldn't the emails import into the project regardless of who the "from" is in the mailbox?

In regards to the Issue Collector, I need to find out why I can't paste the code into a Confluence page. Currently am getting delimiter errors >-<

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

For the mail handler, there is a restriction on who can send mails that will actually execute something. You wouldn't want ANYONE being able to create issues in your instance by default through a default mail handler.

You can see in the docs for the incoming mail that custom mail handlers can be configured with the Create Users parameter to create accounts for those users who send mails but are not recognized as Jira instance users, yet.

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2020

@Fernando Bordallo Perfect; that info confirmed our path to a work around. 

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this

Suggest an answer