JIRA - Block Time Tracking if a Custom Field is Empty

CharlesBastian July 3, 2017

Disclaimer: I'm new to administering JIRA - It was jsut added to my workload last week.

I am trying to find any specific documentation on how to completely block time tracking on any JIRA ticket that does not have a value in a specific field.  I've found similar items via a few Google searches, but nothing that helps so far.

I have a custom field on all projects in JIRA.  If that field is empty, I want to block anyone from tracking time against the project.  Does anyone have any insight into this, or where specifically to start looking?

Not sure if it helps or matters, but we are using JIRA 7.3.1 on prem.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2017

I can't think of a way to do this without hacking core code in JIRA.  You can set permissions to block the entry of work-logs, and because of that, you can do it on status with workflow properties, and you can do things in transitions, but I can't think of a way to do it based on custom fields.

CharlesBastian July 3, 2017

Thanks.  Was hoping here would be a way to script it or something, so that a validator of sorts could run on all projects when they load, or when someone tries to click the Log Work button.

Suggest an answer