Issues created after upgrade still displaying after manual rollback

Alan Cross October 2, 2017

After upgrading JIRA Core to v7.4.2 from v6.1.7 (going to v7.0.0 in between), then rolling back after some issues (restore database, restore backed up copy of home directory and starting by start-jira.bat, but not replacing application directory) there are two issues which do not show in the database (jiraschema.jiraissue) but show under the project. When clicking on these, the message 'The issue you are trying to view does not exist'. How do I stop these from displaying in the issues view? i.e. where is this information being stored and can I remove it?

Regards

Alan Cross

2 answers

0 votes
Alan Cross October 4, 2017

OK - is the fact that I did not restore the application directory the cause of the problem? The instructions (from Atlassian website) only imply the backup to be restored if the directory has been deleted.

What I neglected to mention was there were three issues raised, but only two display as 'ghosts'. The third does not exist in the rollback.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

I think your installation is effectively broken because you've done partial roll-backs and then triggered upgrades against mismatched data-sets.  I'm not sure what you've been reading on Atlassian's docs, but it's not got you going in the right direction.

When you roll-back, you should roll-back *everything*, not bits of it.  Atlassian stuff does not have a downgrade path, you have take everything back to the backups.

I can't be sure this is directly the problem, but it either is, or it's masking the problem by causing other problems that you could be chasing for ages.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2017

The roll-back process you've described here is broken.  If you didn't revert the application directory back to one that matches the restored data, it will have tried to re-upgrade the data to the current version, but with a home directory that contains data from the previous version.

I suspect you need to go back to the backups you took from 7.0.0 or 6.1.7 and re-do the upgrade properly.

Suggest an answer