Issue with JIRA 7 Upgrade and Workflow Validators

Deswik IT July 28, 2016

Hi

I upgraded to JIRA 7.1.8 from 6.4.12 in our test environment

Since upgrading, whenever I transition an issue where there is a validator in place, JIRA will hang while transitioning the issue with the progress wheel turning and eventually time out with the error in the transition screen:

“The call to the JIRA server did not complete within the timeout period.  We are unsure of the result of this operation.  Close this dialog and press refresh in your browser”

I can then no longer access the particular issue, the browser just sits there loading, however I can access all other issues in the JIRA instance and all other elements, dashboards, admin screens etc.  In order to view the original issue I have to restart my JIRA instance

The presence of the following validators exhibit this behaviour

Field is required Validator - (JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions)
Fields Required - (JIRA Suite Utilities)
Field has single value Validator  - (JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions)

However, these validators work fine

Universal Validator (Workflow Enhancer for JIRA)

Regular Expression Check (JIRA Suite Utilities)

The transition will report when it has failed validation without any problems - for example leaving a field blank when it is required.  But will exhibit the above behavior if it complies with the validation.

Throwing this out there to see if anyone else has seen this sad

Thanks in advance for any suggestions 

Dave

2 answers

0 votes
WendyA August 29, 2016

Not sure if you figured this out yet, but here's our experience with a similar symptom. We had some JavaScript being loaded (via a field's description attribute) that was using document.getElementById to reference certain fields, and trying to USE the VALUE without first making sure the field was not 'undefined' or NULL. There's some mention of JIRA changing its method of loading pages that can break some things, but not sure if that affected this script or what..

Deswik IT September 12, 2016

Thanks Wendy, I thought you may have had it there, as we put a bit of JS in field descriptions and the announcement banner, but unfortunately the symptoms persisted.

In the end we spun up a new JIRA instance and migrated everything to it using the built in backup and import functionality - a surprisingly pain free task actually. 

So far - everything seems to be fast and reliable.  There were remnants of an unused Service Desk install in our old instance - maybe this was causing problems.

0 votes
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2016

Did you look inside JIRA's logfile (atlassian-jira.log) for ERRORs?

Deswik IT July 29, 2016

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

There is nothing logged in atlassian-jira.log at the point at which this occurs (transitioning) and subsequent requests to view the issue.

I'm not sure where to go from here, but i may start disabling add-ons to see if any are causing issues.

Cheers

Dave

Suggest an answer