Issue are still marked as UNresolved but was completed

Beth March 7, 2017

Hi,

I used a basic workflow when I started using JIRA. Then we customized our own workflow and implemented it to our projects. My problem is there are issues which are still UNRESOLVED but Completed. I believe it is probably that the issue was completed before we changed the workflow

My question, how can I edit all issues with STATUS as COMPLETED but the resolution is still UNRESOLVED. Id like to change the resolution to RESOLVED

This is for our proper monitoring of issues and projects

Below is the screenshot 

http://i.imgur.com/q63XfUb.png

5 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2017

It sounds like your workflow did not take account of the resolution field.

A workflow can be divided into two parts - not done status (usually the blue and yellow status) and done (usually the status that are green).  When you move an issue from "not done" to "done", your workflow should either

1. Use a transition screen that has resolution on it, so the user chooses one
  2. Set the resolution to something with a post function

When moving from "done" to "not done", it should simply clear the resolution.

Fix the workflow first, to stop the problem happening more, then pick one of the following approaches:

1. reopen and re-close the issues that have the wrong resolution
  2. run the script-runner canned script to correct them
  3. add another transition from closed to closed that has a post-function or screen on it (and probably locked to admins so it's a one-off fix)

(1 and 2 can be done with bulk-edit when you've gotlots to do)

0 votes
April March 7, 2017

If you find that you cannot edit your Closed issues, you need to go into your workflow, click the Closed status, and then go to the properties tab.

There you should add (or edit existing) entry:

jira.issue.editable

And set the property value to

true

Once you have done this, you will be able to edit your resolution.

To cure the underlying problem, you need to ensure a resolution is entered. Make sure you add a resolution screen to your workflow with this field on it, so users can select a value on this transition.

Do NOT add Resolution to any other screens, as this can cause the field to be set on other transitions.

Take a look at ScriptRunner and JIRA Suite Utilities.

These have slightly different options for things like requiring Resolution on a specific resolution or setting one automatically.

Utilities is free, and quite handy, but ScriptRunner is the Swiss army knife of all things Jira, and I can't imagine administering JIRA without it.

If you had ScriptRunner, you would already be done with this problem, having used the built in "Bulk Fix Resolutions" to cure the problem without generating any issue change entries, or requiring much effort beyond saving a search for your issues smile

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2017

>Once you have done this, you will be able to edit your resolution.

No, you'll also need to add resolution to the edit screen.  Then you'll be able to (bulk) edit it.  But, if you do that, you're opening up the possibility that another user could break their issues just by editing.  So if you're going to do this, you need to be certain that people will not be editing issues in the project, and remember to remove it from the edit screen later.

April March 7, 2017

As ever Nic, you are absolutely right; I should have said "you will be able to edit your issue." Thanks!

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2017

There is a Knowledge Base article which might help here:

"How to bulk edit resolution"https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/howto-bulk-edit-resolution-321857142.html

Sam

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2017

You should also fix your workflow, to make sure a resolution gets set when your issues go to 'Completed', as per Nic's answer.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2017

Hi Beverly, 

is your workflow configured for changing issues in completed state? If yes, this is quite easy.

Search for all issues that are completed with an empty resolution:

status =  completed and resolution is EMPTY

Then click on Tools -> Bulk change (top right of the screen)

There you can change the resolution for all issues in one step to resolved.

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2017

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events