Issue Key - Changing when day change

Rodrigo Pereira June 17, 2016

Im running some tests to put JIRA in production with Jenkins and I have the following question:

In my scenario I have two Issues inside a Test Cycle. No matter how many times I run my Project, the same Issue is updated at JIRA. This is my perfect scenario but when a new day comes and I run Jenkins' project again, new Issue Key are generated, as the following image shows:

Capturar.PNG

I prefer keeping it in same Issue key for history purposes, i.e., when I click on test summary I wanna see all past execution status. But as JIRA do I have to check for other issues that represent the same issue I seek.

That image shows a little bit of my tests. Actually we have about 7k tests showing in Jira. This is why I can't manage it in every new day.

Is there a way to make JIRA keeping same Issue Key every time I run my project in Jenkins?

Obs.: QJ-398 and QJ-6893 are the same issue as QJ-397 and QJ-6988 are too, but with new key generated.

Thank you!

4 answers

0 votes
Rodrigo Pereira June 21, 2016

Mahesh S and Lameck thank you for your reply. After some efforts of my team we've solved this problem.

We had this problem by first creating a new cycle test in JIRA and configure it in Jenkins' project. After run Jenkins, the test cycle configured was filled with new issues and no matter how many times we runned the same project in Jenkins, same issues were updated. The problem was found when project in Jenkins was executed in another day, so new issues was created.

To solve this problem we removed all issues and test cycles from JIRA. So with JIRA empty we went to Jenkins and configured project to "New Cycle" and executed it again. By using this config a new cycle was created and issues numbers are kept the same, no matter how many executions or which day execute. As "New Cycle" creates a composed name cycle with date in JIRA, we have just to edit these cycles and rename it for what we want, and works well.

After that we went again to Jenkins and configured from "New Cycle" to name previously edited.

I'll be watching this topic for further questions and hope this helps somebody who may have this problem in future.

Thank you again!

/

Depois de algumas tentativas nós conseguimos resolver esse problema.

O problema acontecia porque nós criamos o ciclo de teste no JIRA e depois configuramos esse ciclo no projeto criado no Jenkins. Depois de rodar o Jenkins, o ciclo de teste configurado era preenchido com as novas "issues" e podíamos rodar o mesmo projeto no Jenkins quantas vezes quiséssemos que a "issue key" não mudava. Porém quando nós rodamos o mesmo projeto do Jenkins em outro dia, ao enviar o resultado pro JIRA, novas "issues keys" eram geradas.

Para resolver essa questão nós removemos todos as "issues" e ciclos de teste do Jira. Com o JIRA zerado nós setamos as configurações do JIRA no projeto do Jenkins para "New Cycle" e executamos novamente. Usando essa configuração os números das "issues" são mantidos, não importando quantas execuções ou em qual dia é executado. A única questão que tivemos que alterar é que o "New Cycle" cria o ciclo com um nome composto pela data e nós apenas renomeamos para o nome desejado e funciona perfeitamente bem.

Depois disso voltamos ao Jenkings e trocamos de "New Cycle" para o nome que editamos anteriormente.

Vou ficar de olho nesse tópico pra ajudar quem mais vier a ter esse problema.

Obrigado!

0 votes
Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2016

Rodrigo Pereira, I think you are from Brazil, so I use portuguese. But feel free to use english if you prefer.

0 votes
Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2016

Rodrigo, como acontece a entrada de atividades? Pelo que entendi você está rodando os testes automaticamente, e as atividades são abertas a medida que o mesmo teste é rodado em outro dia. Correto? 

Rodrigo, how they issues coming? I understand that you are making automate test, and the issues are opened without human action. Right?

0 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2016

I believe the JIRA issue key is not changed, rather it is creating a new one a well. Please verify this by navigating to QJ-398.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events