Is there an update to be able to install Jira Software on a Jira ServiceDesk standalone server

I know I can add JIRA Service Desk to my JIRA Software Server, but if I have JIRA ServiceDesk installed as a standalone, can I update that to add JIRA Software to the same server?

It seems that you can only "start" with JIRA Software and then add servcedesk but I'm concerned that this will wipe out all the servicedesk setup and data

1 answer

0 vote

You can start with JIRA Core and add Service Desk and/or Software in either order.  You can start with Service Desk and add Software, or start with Software and add Service Desk. 

The last option is generally the recommended one for a new starter because Service Desk is less complex than Software (in terms of how much it entangles itself with Core - JSD is more a layer over the top, whereas Software adds fields and changes behaviour of certain issue types).

But yes, you can simply install Software on your system.  It won't do anything to your data that can't be undone.  The only thing I'd check is if you've used Epics in any Service Desk projects, as their behaviour changes when Software is installed and it might not be quite what you wanted (I'd be strongly tempted to change the Epics to a different type before installing Software)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

64 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you