Is there a way to speed up Jira? Having to wait more then 5 seconds is just to looooong!

buermic February 5, 2016

I have a 10 users starter License. Is the speed better with a "real" license?

Otherwise I'll rather now then later change to a speedier user experience like youtrack.

4 answers

1 vote
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2016

JIRA speed, like all web apps, primarily depends on three things, server responsiveness, network bandwidth, and network latency. Because of the nature of Jira's very chatty interface, network latency has a much larger impact than with many apps.

Here's an example: Using Firefox and Firebug, I just timed the HTTP requests to pull up one issue in our system. You can see the attached graph below. 

The total elapsed time was 2.02 seconds; Reasonable.

However, It took 41 http requests to serve that single page. 

My longest single http response took 290ms, and there were only 3 of those requests that took more than 30 ms. Luckily for me, I have a fast pipe and very low (less than 1 ms ping time) to our JIRA server.

If I had 10ms latency, but still have big bandwidth and server, I estimate it would have added up to half a second. That can get ugly pretty fast if you start having latencies above 100ms. 

I recommend you get used to slow response time if you have high ping times to your JIRA server (ask the people in my company who live outside the US about that. sad)

jiraTiming.png

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2016

The licence won't have any effect on speed.

Most of the performance is down to network speed and hardware.  On Cloud, there's nothing you can do about hardware - it's a pile of servers in a US datacentre.

Sadly, this is a known issue which we've not seen much of an informative answer for, let alone any form of fix.  The biggest discussion was over at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/268173

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2016

If your cloud system is slow, you should open an issue with Atlassian. I've used Cloud a lot and usually do not have an issue with speed with most cases.

If your self-hosted system is slow, kick your system administrators in the pants.

0 votes
sarah izadyar February 5, 2016

Maybe you should increase the space of Java memory

buermic February 5, 2016

sorry I didn't make that clear enough. I'm asking for a JIRA cloud instance.

sarah izadyar February 5, 2016

Sorry. I didn't noticed the cloud.

Suggest an answer