Is there a way to sort statuses in Jira?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2016

The View Statuses screen seems to have no discernible sort order for statuses.  New statuses are just lumped at the bottom.  I think.  I have no idea, but they are not in any USEFUL order.

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2016

JIRA added sorting to statuses in JIRA 6.3.8. You find the request here – https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5189Closed as Fixed.

This functionality was added when statuses were changed from the older [icon] Label format to the BlueLozenges with category format.

3 votes
Joe Darrah July 13, 2020

Our Jira instance has 100's of statuses, and no one has ever maintained their sort. It would be nice to be able to edit the Sequence # rather than having tip click up/down hundreds of times for each one or going into the DB to update everything.

Or even a drag/drop interface would make this easier to use.

Laurie Heinitz January 25, 2021

Agree. It should be easier. Unfortunately I have taken on JIRA by another team who did not understand how to set it up properly so there is hundreds of statuses. I cannot start removing them just yet. I need to sort the existing ones.

2 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2016

What version of JIRA are you on?

In JIRA AdministrationIssuesStatuses, you should be able to sort all statuses. This is good because all statuses are just appended to the bottom of the list so if you don't sort them, issue sorting by status is really weird.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2016

We're on 6.0.8

0 votes
Tarun Sapra July 17, 2018

It's still open, no clean way to sort statuses as of now in Jira.

Ewa Boloczko July 17, 2018

I've opened ticket to request alphabetical sorting. It can be the only way, or just one of the options. JIRA has a lot of ways to sort things. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-67549 

Like Rich Clemens likes this
0 votes
Ewa Boloczko March 16, 2017

Was this really solved? We are on JIRA 7 and statuses are still in random order. We use workflows a lot, and we have a lot of statuses. It should not be a problem for Atlassian right?

Thanks,
Ewa 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2017

Sort them. They are sortable. You have to sort them.

Like Joshua Kochelek likes this

How?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2017

Go to the statuses screen and use the arrows to sort them.

Close to impossible, since I have more than 400 statuses. It should sorted alphabetical by default. What's the pint of having the latest adds at the end...

Like Heather R likes this
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2017

cheeky Well that's a different problem then, isn't it? You could script against the URL endpoint to move them around – https://jira.local/secure/admin/StatusUp.jspa?up=16105 or https://jira.local/secure/admin/StatusDown.jspa?down=16105.

Like # people like this
Xaviar Steavenson August 22, 2019

Not really... just shows whomever closed this doesn't admin jira... read the first part of this a few times thinking... no... no this doesn't sort at all...

Crazy.

Like charles_jrb likes this
Deleted user October 30, 2019

Thanks @Steven F Behnke for this workaround which still works

Like Steven F Behnke likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events