Is there a way to replace strike through usage with a check mark?

jdugasMT May 4, 2016

In referencing completed JIRA issues through comments it can be helpful to see that they are complete, but the use of strike through makes it confusing. Strike through generally means that the text is incorrect, removed, or should be deleted. Is it possible to use something else? I'd like to see a graphical check mark if possible, but I'm open to other indicators. Strike through just looks awkward. 

For example: We need to deliver PROJ-123, PROJ-456 and PROJ-789 to our customer when they are all completed.

From the example it looks like PROJ-123 and PROJ-789 were incorrect and shouldn't have been listed.

It's not just my opinion on the use of strike through. Many sites define it the same way. Below is one of them.

Definition:

A horizontal line drawn through text: This is a strike-through.
Traditionally, a strike-through has been used to indicate the deletion of an error or the removal of text in a draft.

Source: http://grammar.about.com/od/rs/g/Strike-Through.htm

5 answers

0 votes
Gerard Cattin May 4, 2016

will do thx

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2016

You'll want to raise that with Atlassian, but I seem to remember they've closed it down before, because "strike through indicates it's been crossed off the to-do list for some reason". 

I'd agree on the reporting, it can look like "won't do", and it would be nice to have the option.  But it depends on the reports - the "release notes" for example, give you text/html without it.

0 votes
Gerard Cattin May 4, 2016

I use the completion of sprint stories and tasks in to communicate status and results to a variety of stakeholders and customers and having these items show with strike-thrus is forcing a conversation each time and sometimes with management. This may be into the whole code, but that does not mean that it is what is needed. ROI - as soon as you use the data to non-JIRA users, you have to explain this ugly looking list that appears as if their items weren't done. Instead of saying: you list is done, see! We have to say, well JIRA shows it this way, sorry. Having to apologize to your audience for your completion marker that appears to say that you deleted their items is an ongoing embarrassment. Thanks but no thanks. I agree with Jake: Fix it or provide alternative ways to display it (even the option of not showing it would be better since we can use the status to show done.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2016

The strikethrough in JIRA is a perfectly valid use - think of a to-do list on a piece of paper.  Most people will cross things out when they're done, and that's a lot more clear than a check-mark.  There's nothing wrong with check-marks of course, certainly on a computer (where you don't suffer from problems like my appalling handwriting being unclear on which line I've actually ticked - I strike out done stuff because it's the only way anyone can tell!)

The problem for JIRA is that the strikethrough is pretty much hard coded into all sorts of places.  You could relatively easily add a scripted field type thing to display a checkbox too, but getting rid of the strikeout would be quite a lot of digging.  Probably easier if you attacked the css for it, but still not a simple task.

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2016

I don't think anybody will dispute your point that, generally speaking, a striked through text means something that's deleted. Strikethrough in JIRA indicates an issue with a Resolution. Any Resolution value at all.

It's very unlikely that additional options will be implemented in future JIRA version, since so many users have used the strikethrough for years. There wouldn't be much of an ROI for the developer.

Perhaps that's something that can be modified with a custom plugin. Take a look at the plugin development doc if that's something you'd like to invest time fixing for you.

Suggest an answer