• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is there a way to not fire a registered webhook for a specific API requests?

vahe_g I'm New Here Nov 19, 2020

Let's say I have a registered and configured webhook for task creation event. So each time user creates a task in Jira, that webhook will be fired, all is fine. But what if I want to execute a task creation request through the Jira REST API and I don't want the webhook to be fired in that case? 

Is there some request header or some URL parameter which I can specify in the API request and which will instruct Jira to not fire a webhook as a result of that API request?

P.S. For example Teamwork has a way of doing this by adding ?fireWebhook=false to any API request: https://developer.teamwork.com/guides/webhooks/

So what I'm looking for is an analog to that.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Nov 23, 2020

Hi,

I see that you are looking for a means to create issues via the REST API, but have the option to not trigger any webhook that issue creation event would have set off.  Jira does not currently have this ability. 

The closest similarity Jira Cloud has to what you are looking for would be the notifyUsers parameter as mentioned in PUT /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}.  That parameter can be used to made edits to issues without engaging the notification schemes associated in the project, but there is no equivalent for webhooks.

I would be interested though to learn more about your setup here and why are you seeking to do this?  Are you creating a plugin / app to be able to do this?  Or are you just seeking to be able to make this REST call manually on occasion?  I ask because I just want to try to understand the scale and scope of this request.

It might be possible to change the way in which webhooks are triggered to begin with, especially in Jira Cloud.  Instead of setting up the webhook to trigger directly upon a workflow event, or a workflow post-function, it might be possible instead to setup automation in Jira Cloud to send this webhook.  The advantage about this approach is that automation can be setup to check other criteria/conditions of the issue before it then executions the action therein.  Whereas system webhooks cannot, and in turn must execute all events that match their trigger criteria (such as "Issue Created" event).

But of course, if you are trying to create an app here, this solution might not be feasible as my explanation isn't intended to be done in a programmatic manner.  Instead what I am suggesting would be to disable that system webhook and create an automation rule to fire off this webhook but with more criteria.

Let me know your thoughts on this, or if you have any questions about this approach.

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

4,195 views 12 5
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you