Is there a way to get the Behaviour Script to execute while doing inline edits on the View Issue page?

Sherri Moore February 18, 2016

Hi, I added a Behavior Script that sets a custom field (CF1) to a certain value based on the selected value of another custom field (CF2). All is working as expected on the Create Issue and Edit Issue pages, BUT when I simply edit the CF1 field while on the View Issue page, it does NOT update the CF2 field as expected. There aren't any errors or debug entries in the log (that I see). It appears as though the Behaviour Script isn't getting executed at all.

Is this a known limitation? ...a bug? ...or simply user error (totally possible smile)? I didn't see anything about it in the documenation (https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-overview.html#_limitations).

We're on JIRA 6.0.8 with Behaviour Plugin v0.5.10. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2016

More recent versions disable inline edit for those fields where a behaviour is applied. Inline edit can't sensibly be used when you're trying to validate multiple fields in conjunction with each other, so it just disables it.

0 votes
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2016

Hi Sherri,

Behaviours only works on the create and edit screen of issues and by limitation does not work when a field is in-line edited.

One workaround for this issue is to apply some JavaScript to the field to disable in-line editing for the field on a project level. I have attached an example of some JavaScript that can be used to do disable in-line editing on fields.

This code can be placed in the description for the field on the field configuration scheme used by the project in order to make it fire.

<script type="text/javascript">
AJS.$(document).ready(function() {
setInterval(function() {
  // Disable the field based on its id. customfield_10802 - references my DemoTextField in this example
  AJS.$('#customfield_10802-val').removeAttr('class');
  AJS.$('#customfield_10802-val').children('.icon').remove();
  AJS.$('#customfield_10802-val').children('.aui-icon-small').remove();
  AJS.$('#customfield_10802-val').removeAttr( "title" )
}, 200);
 });
</script>

I hope this helps

Kristian

0 votes
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2016

I've never used Behaviours, so can't say; however, just to throw out some ideas in case this is a limitation you won't be able to bypass, options are:

1) Disable inline editing at the site config level. (Edit: never mind, that requires JIRA 6.2).

2) Remove the edit permission from your project and provide custom 'edit' workflow actions to replace it, using conditions to limit permissions to the same role/groups you would have allowed 'edit'.  This should disallow inline editing at the project level.

3) Use a script listener instead of Behaviours to set the second custom field if you see the first custom field get edited.  That will cover any edit that emits an event, which should apply to inline edits as well as regular Edit Issue, etc.  Unfortunately, it may also break up the history into two different updates, instead of one, assuming Behaviours does it in one go (which I'm guessing it does, and could be related to why an inline edit doesn't work).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events