Is there a way to get back issues deleted issues by mistake?

mel vega February 25, 2016

Hi,

would you know if it is possible to get back some issues deleted by mistake?

Thanks

melissa

3 answers

3 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2016

None. Once it's deleted, it's gone gone gone.

You can restore your whole JIRA instance to a certain point in time from an XML backup (if  you are running one) but it will affect everything.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2016

For these reasons I don't allow deleting of issues by anybody. It WILL eventually come around to bite you. I suggest a resolution code of 'Deleted', 'OBE', or 'Withdrawn By User' instead.

Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2016

We do almost the same, we only allow a very small group of 'superadmins' to delete issues. For almost all purposes, Status 'Closed' with a proper Resolution set will serve the purpose for us.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2016

A couple of places have a "bin" project which you move "deleted" issues into as well.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2016

Yeah, the trashbin approach is painful since issues' fields may not all be visible then. I've played around with using an issue security scheme to make the issue invisible to most people.

Anyway, the way to get the lost data back is to restore a backup into a separate throwaway instance of JIRA

mel vega February 25, 2016

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

Thank for your answer. could you please tell where I can find this "bin" you mention ?

melissa

1 vote
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2016

Not really, your only option to completely restore them is to roll back to your latest backup before the deletion, but then you lose any recent changes.

An alternative is to install this backup on another system and copy and paste from there. You won't get all the history on the issues, but maybe this is preferable.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events