Is there a way to find all related or blocked issues in the basic filter page?

Dirk Hauptmann July 31, 2020

I know that it is possible in the advanced filter page using JQL: "issue in linkedIssues("issuekey, is related to")"

For the common end user this is too difficult to remember.

Is there an extension providing this filter functionality in a GUI widget?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

Hi @Dirk Hauptmann 

You can search via linked issue type from Basic Search.

This isn't quite the same as it's not searching for all linked issues of one specific issue key, it's searching for all issues of a specified link type:

1. Go to Basic Search
  2. Select More - and look for the field "Link Types" and add it to the search parameters
  3. Choose from the new field on the top bar which link types you'd like to search by
  4. Add in any other parameters to refine the results - eg. Project, Issue Type, etc

For the more complex method of searching for all issues related to a specific issue in your initial example, you'll need to use JQL.

If your users don't always remember how to do this - you could:

1. Create the filter
  2. Press "Save As" and save the filter
  3. Next, press "Details" next to the new filter's name, and select "Edit Permissions"
  4. Next to "Add Viewers", select "Any Logged in User" and press Add
  5. Press Save

^ You can now share the filter with users as an example of a more complex query, which they can click into and just change the issue key :)

Ste

Dirk Hauptmann August 2, 2020

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ ,

many thanks for the answer.

I already use prepared and saved filters to search for specific related issues. I also prepared boards using them.

We use issue relations heavily to group issues related to release-dates or other organisational purposes.

Unfortunately this approach is not flexible because JQL seems to be too difficult for the common user: If someone uses the saved filter and wants to refine the search even more he has to stick with JQL and cannot use the comfortable GUI widgets of the simple search.

Dirk

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2020

Hi @Dirk Hauptmann 

Basic Search only allows users to go so far, JQL majorly expands what they can search for.

I've found it can take a little time for users to learn how to use JQL but there are lots of help documents out there and it can be very useful for the wider audience.

Pages like...

...can get your users started in their learning journey :)

Ste

Suggest an answer