Is there a way to diagram the sequence of issues in JIRA?

Cameron Smith May 17, 2016

Our team uses sequence diagrams to visualize what order issues need to be addressed. Work sequences are often not as simple as a prioritized list that is available in the Sprint Board. Here is an example of a work sequence to show you what I mean.  

image2016-5-17 15:47:29.png

These are an incredibly helpful tool, especially to see how far you have to go to reach an end goal, but we are currently doing this on the whiteboard or in PowerPoint and it is a duplication of effort because you have to create and maintain issues in JIRA and in the sequence diagram separately. The only solutions I've seen online are flow charts in Confluence, but these are no better than just doing it on the whiteboard or PowerPoint because you have to create issues and the sequence diagram separately.

I'm looking for something where the issues can be linked to the diagram. For example, I would like to be able to create 10 issues on a board, then switch to a sequence diagram view and see all of those issues in card form. Then be able to drag-and-drop the cards into a work sequence. Then I'd like to click back to the Kanban and pull a task to 'In Progress'. If I toggle back to the sequence view I would have a visual queue as to the status of each of the tasks in the sequence. That way you could see the status of the gating items or see if something is being worked on out of order. 

Please tell me there is a solution for this somewhere!!! 

1 answer

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2016

It might be difficult to obtain anything that looks and works exactly as you described but, as you described the purpose as well, I will put here a similar solution that might work for you:

1. Create a new issue of type Story and add to it all subtasks shown in your screenshot.
  2. Create a board with three columns, named To Do, In Progress and Done (or Backlog, Active and Complete).
  3. Map each of the workflow statuses to the appropriate columns.
  4. Configure the board Swimlanes to be based on Stories.

After that, you will be able to visualize progress in a quite similar way as you described.

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events