Is it possible to view epic tags across projects?

Audrey Henik October 10, 2016

Hi.  I work across two projects and would like to have access to epics in both.  is it possible to configure JIRA to see the epic tags in both backlogs and on the epic board?

1 answer

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2016

Hey Audrey! 

This is a great question! It's actually not very hard to do! Basically you need to create a filter that contains the projects or issues that you want to search for and create a board out of that. 

A more detailed explanation would be as follows: 

1. Search for the issues that you want to show up on your board using the "Search for issues" feature. Save that filter by clicking the "Save As" button on top of the search feature. 
  2. Create a board by going to "Boards"->"View all Boards"->"Create Board"->"Board from an existing Saved Filter". Once you are there, select the filter you saved in the last step. 

The board will now be created pulling from all issues that will be caught by the filter you've created. This will include epics across any number of projects.

Good luck.

Kian 

Audrey Henik October 10, 2016

Thanks.  Is it possible to set it up so you see it in the backlog itself?  is there a way to set up epics to span projects?

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2016

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by "see it in the backlog itself"? Epics must exist within a project, but you can link issues from many projects to a single epic. Does that help?  

Audrey Henik October 11, 2016

I'd like to see an epic tag in any product backlog, not just the project in which it's created.

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2016

Epic tags will show up in the backlog as long as the Epic is included in the query. This jut means that you'll need to include whatever epic tags you'd like to show up in the query. 

Suggest an answer