Is it possible to upgrade to Jira Core from Jira 6.3.9 ?

Jakub Kletenský November 24, 2015

Hi all,

in November 2014 I purchased and installed JIRA 6.3.9 Starter server license in our small company. We found JIRA very usefull, I made a lot of custimizing, installed few add-ons and we use JIRA to track issues in all our proccesses (not only SW development). 

Now we want to upgrade to 25 users licence. When I use standart order form on https://www.atlassian.com/purchase/ click on Upgrade i see only possibility to upgrade to JIRA Software for 25 users. 

I've read most of the Attlassian articles about this new JIRA  flavors (Software, Core, Service desk). For our company JIRA Core is suitable and we don't need to upgrade to (more expensive) JIRA Software, but it seems it is not possible for us to upgrade to JIRA Core for 25 users.

And finaly, how is it possible that Atlassian consider us as owner of JIRA Software license, inspite of the fact that we purchased JIRA 6.3.9?

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2015

JIRA Core is absolutely available to you without JIRA Software.  The default Atlassian want you to go with is JIRA Software, so they're pushing it, but you really don't need to unless you are using JIRA Agile functions.

If you're struggling to find plain JIRA Core, then contact Sales.  But you shouldn't need to - downloading JIRA Core and upgrading to it should sail through on your existing licence (Assuming it is still valid?  If it expired recently, you may not be able to go to the latest, only JIRA Core 7.0.1 or 7.0.0 depending on the end date)

Edit - my original answer was based on misreading the question.  Sorry!

Jakub Kletenský November 26, 2015

Hi Nic, thank you for fast response. I will clarify it a bit more. My starter license realy has expired very recently (don't know exactly but i.e. week ago). So what I mainly need is: To buy a new licence (of JIRA Core) for 25 users (as we are growing) without having to install new JIRA instance and migrating all the data, plugins and my customizations. Therefore I don't see any point i downloading JIRA Core 7.0.1 or 7.0.0 So could you please advise what do I do to if in the purchase form there is only possibility to upgrade to Jira Software? I know that I can obviously buy a brand new licence of JIRA Core, but then I suppose I would need to inststall a new instance and migrate. Or am I wrong? thanx

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2015

Sorry, I thought I explained all of that already. If you want to keep your data, upgrade the current system to Core (which you will need to download). If you want a new system, by all means, just install Core somewhere else. The difficulty here is you seem to being offered the Software upgrade. There should be a link on the page to just get core though (and if not, that's when to contact Sales about it)

Suggest an answer