Is it possible to tell if I am connected to an on-demand instance or a server instance using the JIRA API?

Guy Matz March 31, 2016

Hi!  Using the REST API - or some other mechanism - Is it possible to tell if I am connected to a server instance or an on-demand instance?

4 answers

0 votes
mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2016

AFAIK there is no reliable way to do this in REST.

Sounds like a good feature request smile

The way I usually tell in the UI is by looking at the footer.
Server will have "Atlassian JIRA Project Management Software".
Cloud will have "Powered by Atlassian

Guy Matz April 1, 2016

I did it!!  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-60416

I found it very awkward to word that request . . .  are the two types of servers "onDemand" and "Server"?  "Server" is not very descriptive . . .  and now that I think of it, "onDemand" is now cloud.

Please feel free to update the ticket if you have any thoughts, or send them to me and I will update if you are not able to!  Thanks!!!

mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2016

Thanks for raising that.

Yep - "Server" can be ambiguous, but Marketing obviously think it's a good name, so who am I to argue cheeky

(Internally we often say "BTF" - Behind The Firewall - for On Premises installs but that's misleading too because our Cloud instances are all behind a firewall too)

I might change "Server type" to "Deployment type" in the issue.

0 votes
Guy Matz March 31, 2016

Backups and re-indexing - possibly others? -  work/behave differently between the two versions . . .  I would like to add some code to the jira python client to behave appropriately depending on the context.

Thanks!!

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2016

Why do you need to know the difference?

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2016

You could call /rest/api/2/serverInfo and look at the version element. For on-demand the version is something like:

"version":"7.2.0-OD-05-022"

i.e. it has OD in it.

and for server it's just:

"version": "6.2.5"

Not sure if that's good enough? 

mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2016

If you see "-OD-" in the version then it is definitely Cloud.
Unfortunately the reverse is not true.

Sometimes cloud will have (eg) version "7.2.0" (then two weeks later it will move to "7.3.0-OD-01-xxx")

Another heuristic is the domain name ... eg if it is on "*.atlassian.net" (or one of a few others) then it is Cloud.
But this too is unreliable because that list could expand or change in the long term.

Suggest an answer