Is it possible to organise issues in a given column based on priority (or better still a value from a custom field)?

Bleddyn Raw-Rees July 5, 2016

JIRA v6.4.9 with Agile. 

Currently, my issues get ordered into swimlanes based on JQL queries. These can then be further organised based on ranking - where the issues can be dragged and dropped into the desired position. 

Instead of dragging and dropping, it would be preferable if these issues could automatically be ordered based on an input value from a custom field (E.g. Importance: 1-100). 

Is this possible?!

If this could be done based on the system field, priority, it would be something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user July 5, 2016

Sure, add a "Order By" to the board filter. You can use any field in the issues you want. Of course it should be common to all issues types and make sense to use it.

Be aware you will not be able to change the order by dragging an issue once this is done.

Bleddyn Raw-Rees July 5, 2016

Success! Thank you

Deleted user July 5, 2016

YEA!!!     smile

Bleddyn Raw-Rees July 6, 2016

Ahh this has created problems actually. Applying a different filter works fine with a kanban board. However, it doesn't look like scrum boards behave very well with anything other than 'ORDER BY rank'.

If I ORDER BY custom_field, Create sprint is grayed out and I'm no longer able to move issues from the backlog into an existing sprint. Is there any way around this that you're aware of??

Many thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2016

No.  You need the ranking for the boards to do what they're designed to do.  Trying to sort by anything other than rank doesn't make a lot of sense for sprints, so it doesn't really work.

Deleted user July 6, 2016

Sorry, I have been working with Kanban for to long...

Possible work around would be to have two versions of the "board" one with Order by Rank to allow you to administer your sprint and one with the custom field? Not sure how convoluted that would be, Just thinking...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events