Is it possible to link scrum planning with a specific workflow status?

M October 11, 2016

When I start planning a sprint, then start the sprint. Can I link starting the sprint with a specififc status?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2016

Not really, because you could have chosen issues that are in many different status to include in a sprint.  It doesn't make a lot of sense for example, to take issues that were not finished in the last sprint, and hence rolled over, back through the workflow to a "sprint started" status - they were in progress, in test, under development etc before.  It's also not going to be possible if you have more than one start point - e.g. one project starting with "open" and another with "new".

But, if your process, and hence workflow, are built with this in mind, you can get close.

Let's say you define your ideal workflow as New -> In Sprint -> In progress -> Done.  Your scrum master will want a saved filter for helping finding the issues, something like "sprint in openSprints() and status = new", where they can then use "bulk edit" to transition the issues in the sprint to the In Sprint status.

However, I probably wouldn't bother.  The boards are defined in a way that pretty much makes the "in sprint" status redundant.  An issue only appears on the working board if it is in the sprint, so you don't need it.

Suggest an answer