Is it possible to limit a transition by a time of day

Stan January 29, 2016

Is it possible to prevent someone from executing a transition in workflow based on a time limit?  I'd like to prevent the transition if it's, for example, after 12pm, but only if it's 12pm on the scheudled start date. My thoughts are to use a validator where the  might look something like "Start Time" < startOfDay(+11h), but the syntax is not allowed.

1 answer

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2016

Quick thought is you can do this via a Script Validator that validates the current time to allow the transition or not.

Reference: https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/recipes/workflow/validators/simple-scripted-validators.html

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2016

Another option which may be nicer for the users is to put the same logic into a scripted condition.  A condition hides the transition from the user when they look at the issue, so they can't use it.  A validator lets them start a transition, but pulls them up when they try to commit it. 

A validator has the advantage that you can tell them why they can't do something, rather than have them ask you "why can't i do X to the issue?", but the disadvantage that they can get stroppy if they enter all their data only to be told they can't do it.

Suggest an answer