Is it possible to install JIRA nodes in two data centers and cluster them?

Natalie Wenz July 6, 2016

Hello,

I'm already wrote the Installation instructions for installing JIRA data Center. One precondition is to install all nodes on the same data Center. Can someone explain me the reason for this architecture? We have planned to install 2 nodes in different data Center and the shared home Directory as well as the database is located in one data Center and mirrored in the 2nd data Center.

Thanks

Natalie

1 answer

0 votes
Daysha Consulting July 6, 2016

I asked Atlassian about this and got the following response

"JIRA Data Center is designed to support hot failover scenarios in a co-located data center. Geo-clustering is not supported in JIRA Data Center today.

The individual nodes in a JIRA Data Center deployment are designed to communicate with each other in a high-bandwidth, low-latency environment.  The best way to do this is to co-locate all the nodes in the same place.

Locating the nodes in geographically diverse locations puts big restrictions on the bandwidth and latency that can be feasibly achieved.  If the nodes are too "far" apart (in a virtual sense), they will be constantly panicking and struggling to stay synchronized with each other - the nodes will appear to go offline and come back online erratically.  The end result is a cluster of nodes that end up with worse performance than a single node operating on its own.  As such, it's not recommended to deploy JIRA Data Center in this kind of configuration."

Suggest an answer