Is it possible to include unlinked issues/stories in progress calculations in JIRA Portfolio?

Jade August 23, 2016

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/status-and-progress-tracking-715263766.html

Portfolio seems to only use issues/stories that have been created/linked in JIRA for progress calculations. Is there any way to include issues/stories that have not yet been linked to a JIRA issue (i.e., they only exist in Portfolio)? Given the fact that project requirements will change as the project progresses, we prefer to keep issues in Portfolio (where they are easily editable) until we need to start work on them. Does Portfolio support this scenario without breaking progress calculations and the "graphical schedule"?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2016

Hey Jade,

Good question. When you create issues in Portfolio they are not yet created/linked in JIRA; they're uncommitted and only exist in Portfolio. Only when you actively commit them will they be created in JIRA. These uncommitted issues will still be included in all progress calculations and estimates of uncommitted issues are also "rolled up" to their parent issues. Just make sure sure you deselect all issues you want to exist only in Portfolio when committing other changes.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Rhys

Jade August 24, 2016

Hi Rhys, thank you for the quick response. I would have replied yesterday, but unfortunately, I'm not allowed to add two comments to my own question within 24h.

Your activity is currently limited because you've commented, answered or asked a question 2 times in the past 24 hours. These limits apply until you earn 3 points, then you can ask, answer and comment as much as you like.

I digress... I believe that in my case, Portfolio is not calculating progress as you have indicated it should. Please see the attached image. This epic in particular is displaying as 100% complete both here and in the graphical schedule despite the fact that the estimated total (182 hours) is greater than the hours logged against "committed" issues (42.2833333...).

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 4.52.14 PM.png

My guess is that I have missed some configuration/setting, however, I haven't been able to find an answer from the help guide. Any light you can shed will be most appreciated, and thank you again for your assistance.

Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2016

Hey Jade, I've upvoted your question so you should now have sufficient points to comment as often as you'd like smile

Apologies, I should have seen from your link that you are referring to our classic plans. Unfortunately progress calculations in classic plans only include items linked to JIRA tickets.

If this is an important functionality for you I recommend you try setting up your plan using our Portfolio 2.0 plans. In our new plans you can create issues in your plan without committing them to JIRA. The estimates on these issues will be included in the progress % calculation eg:

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 11.52.36 AM.png

I also recommend our new plans because we're continually releasing new functionality for them whereas we're no longer developing features for classic plans.

If you have a specific reason for not using 2.0 plans we'd love to get your thoughts.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Jade August 25, 2016

Thanks Rhys, this is what I was missing. My only reasons for not using a 2.0 plan were a) it wasn't clear to me that I had a "classic" plan (as I haven't needed to create a new plan since 2.0 release), and b) It doesn't seem like there is any facility to transfer a plan from classic to 2.0.

Anyway, this does answer my question—thank you very much for your assistance.

0 votes
Jade August 23, 2016

Alternatively, is there any way for Portfolio to push its "rolled up" total estimate into the linked epic issue? Having an estimate directly against the linked epic does allow the graphical schedule to render as expected, however, this would need to be synced up with the Portfolio estimate to be of use.

Suggest an answer