Is it possible to import projects from Jira 6.3.14 to 6.4.12?

Jenin Mohan January 17, 2016

Hi Guys,

I need to know if its possible to import projects from JIRA 6.3.14 to 6.4.12 without upgrading JIRA 6.3.14?

Thanks and Regards,

Jenin Mohan

2 answers

0 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2016

No, the project import is fairly complicated, so it has never been made to support multiple versions.  And for once I would disagree w/ Nic, here; I would definitely not recommend hacking the version number in the data to try to accomplish this.  If we were talking a small bump like 6.4.10 to 6.4.12, I would say you have a good chance, but enough changes between version 6.3.x and 6.4.x that I wouldn't risk it.

The standard answer here is that you should create a temporary copy of JIRA at the target version, do a full system import there (which will upgrade the entire scheme), and then export from there to get an export at the desired version.

Yes, we know that this isn't a good answer for administrators and needs to be improved, but it is the safest way that you currently have available to you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2016

Ah, ok, I stand corrected.  I've had it work fine once, but it was with a project that had no clever configuration - couple of text custom fields, and the default workflow.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2016

The import requires the versions to be the same.

However, 6.3 and 6.4 are quite similar, so you could try hacking the "build number" in the xml export (use a plain text editor to do that) and then try the import.  It should work.  (If it doesn't, then the answer becomes "no, you need to upgrade the data, by going through a dev install/upgrade)

Suggest an answer