Is it possible to edit event notification emails?

Brian Sweet June 19, 2018

I've been fine with the basic item created emails, but it's missing information.

For example, the email notification consists of the issue type, assignee, created date & time, due date, priority, reporter and the description. When an item is created, there are many additional fields that are filled in at the same time, such as email / text fields and other date fields.

Why isn't the extra information being included in the initial issue creation emails?

2 answers

1 vote
Suren Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2018

Hi Brian,

I just wanted to hop in here and let you know that the ability to edit Email Notifications is currently not possible within JIRA Cloud. However, the inclusion of this functionality is actually tracked within this feature request case right here:

As it says in the feature request case, this particular issue is marked as *Won’t Fix*, so there isn’t much we can do within the scope of this particular support case to make that change.

However, I would recommend Watching and keeping an eye on that feature request, as well as make your own comments about your team’s need for this feature to be implemented. By being adding numbers to the Watcher/Vote tally, our Dev Team will become more aware of the need for this issue and prioritize the situation accordingly.

Hopefully, that helps you get the features you’re looking for, Brian! I also went ahead and notified our Dev teams of this situation within your team, so go ahead and keep an eye on that feature request tracking case, and they will keep that page updated with the progress of this implementation.

Kind Regard

Suren Raj

It's very disappointing to hear that such a basic, common-sense feature isn't even going to be considered.

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2018

Hello @Brian Sweet

Emails sent by JIRA on events like issue created are using velocity templates to generate the content of the email. If you wish to add more content to the emails being sent on specific events then you would need to customize the corresponding velocity template.

Please see the official documentation about this here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/customizing-email-content-861253783.html

I'm using the cloud version of JIRA Core rather than the self-hosted version.

You'd think JIRA Core would be smart enough to show all item created fields in the emails, but I suppose not...

Suggest an answer