Is it possible to edit/configure the Jira built in fields like Summary and Description field

Luvo May 29, 2016

Is it possible to edit/configure the Jira built in fields like Summary and Description field

3 answers

2 votes
Prashant Mali May 29, 2016

Yes You can change it.

go to this location : C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\com\atlassian\jira\web\action\JiraWebActionSupport.properties

Edit in that file.

issue.field.summary = Summary

replace by

issue.field.summary = Title

It work definitately

Thanks

Luvo May 29, 2016

Hi Prashant

I want these changes only for a specific issue type i.e a BUG. When ever i create an issue with an issue type of bug, I want an auto-populated text like "this is a bug" to show up on the summary filed.

Thank you

Regards,

Luvo 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2016

You'll need to inject some (horrid) javascript to do that.

I would not recommend defaulting a summary, unless you really do want a vast swathe of your issues to all look indistinguishable most of the time.  The summary is there, empty and mandatory, for a very good reason.  In the handful of places where I've seen this done, it causes problems with users complaining that the information in issues is rubbish, and we always remove it.

Prashant Mali May 30, 2016

Thanks Nic Brough [Adaptavist] for your valuable reply.

Luvo May 30, 2016

Thanks Nic and Prashant

1 vote
Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2016

Hi @Luvo,

as Prashant is said u can go to that location and u can find that properties file in JIra Installation directory.

Yes U can edit the JIRA built in fields.

2016-05-30_1508.png

0 votes
Zeeshan Malik July 7, 2019

Hi,

I want to customize Jira default fields names. For e.g I want to replace "Issue" with "Task" everywhere in Jira. I am able to replace most of it by editing "WEB-INF\classes\com\atlassian\jira\web\action\JiraWebActionSupport.properties" file. But still there are some places where it is not changing. For e.g when we click on "Issues" tab on home page there is a option "Import Issues from CSV".

Please help me where to change it?

Regards,

Zeeshan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events