Is it possible to create a view for all releases and projects in one board? or Dashboard?

Prateek Bansal July 6, 2016

We want a program level view for all projects, so that we can see all the releases and versions in one go for all the projects listed.

This will help us move to JIRA because this is the only requirement that JIRA is not meeting it for us.

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2016

An agile board in JIRA is merely a special interface for the contents of a filter. If your filter contains several projects, the board using that filter will show all these projects as well. We have lots of teams who use a Kanban board just as a visual aid for the progress of a group of projects, even if the projects have their Scrum boards.

The same applies to any gadget in a dahsboard. They're almost all based on filters.

If you need help writing your filter, let us know. The JQL query syntax is basically the "where" statement of an SQL query, but that format is not always easy to grasp for regular users.

Of course, other JIRA plugins like Portfolio are specifically made to manage product groupings, but I don't particularly advise you get that product from day 1. Just know that JIRA has lots of room for your processes to grow into.

Prateek Bansal July 6, 2016

Thanks @Nicolas Bourdages. We have been using JIRA for our projects and have been using the basic filter for JQL.

We actually do not want to see stories and tasks but versions and releases in the board for a better view.

We are open to evaluate Portfolio, but from your words - it looks difficult to implement. Its really weird to hear that JIRA's own plugin is not intuitive.

Like # people like this
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2016

Not entirely sure what you mean when you say you don't want to see the issues. From a board's Backlog tab, you'll have the Versions side menu that lets you filter quickly which issues are assigned to which version. If your board contains issues from several projects, you'll see all versions combined in that menu.

In the Reports tab, you have the Release Burndown report, again, which allows you to see all releases for projects in your filter.

If these things are not what you want, then I suggest you check if some Dashboard gadgets like Two Dimensional Filter Statistics.

When I say I don't advise using Portfolio, I don't mean it's not a well-integrated product, because it's powerful and well-made. I mean that it's quite advanced, and my advice would be to get used to JIRA first before adding a level of complexity with Portfolio to avoid confusing your users and slowing down their learning of the basic concepts.

Jean Maynier March 20, 2017

Hi @Nicolas Bourdages,

When I create a Board with multiple projects, on the left menu, I can only see 'Backlog', 'Kanban board', 'Reports'.

It is only on Board linked to only 1 project that I can see 'Releases', 'Components', etc.

I would also like to see all my releases together. Did you modify a setting somewhere ?

I'm on JIRA Cloud and I use Kanban board.

Any idea ?

Like ytoeda likes this
philas November 1, 2019

Hi, i agre with all above. Especially " Its really weird to hear that JIRA's own plugin is not intuitive." from @Prateek Bansal 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Re-Re-Is-it-possible-to-create-a-view-for-all-releases/qaq-p/1217305/comment-id/46562#M46562

3 votes
avner_azulay July 9, 2017

Joining @Jean Maynier question, 

When the board filter is several projects, the Release button is not existing in the side menu.

When we release a version from project A, We cant see the same relaese in Project B which is Fine, but when i want to see all the releases versions i need to overview the release's from each project, and there is no place i know we can see them together.

2 votes
Andrew Barakat March 12, 2018

+1 @avner_azulay

We have a Master Board View, and we are using Agile boards across services, pipelines and apps -- we can see the "Releases" view in project boards, but our master board, which aggregates all the other projects, does not allow this view.

How can we set up our Master Board so that we can view all releases in a single location, without having to switch to an individual project's board?

1 vote
Margo Duesterhaus June 11, 2019

Is there a solution for this?  I also really need to be able to do this.

0 votes
Ronald Zuniga June 11, 2019

@Margo Duesterhaus , no solution, you need to pay for a more enterprise version to get this.

Margo Duesterhaus June 11, 2019

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a "more enterprise version"?  We have JIRA cloud for 400 users.  Is there some add on that we need to do this?

Ronald Zuniga June 11, 2019

That is correct, you need this addon https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/portfolio

philas November 1, 2019

Hi @Ronald Zuniga  that is not correct. 

Neither Portfolio nor BigPicture can handle Releases in Jira in a good manner. 

Bigpicture can not be used for release management, for SW development and many parallel Jira projects its simply crap. 

Portfolio just shows releases in the new experience and when you group by Projects. 

But you just see "green dots" in the Timeline view. With several Jira Projects aggregated in one Plan it does not bring benefit. Topic is not solved and Jira lacks here a lot. 

Like Christina Bernhard likes this
0 votes
Ronald Zuniga September 20, 2018

Did anyone find a solution for this?

0 votes
Stephen Clarke September 6, 2018

I am having the same issue. I am working on a large programme of 30+ teams, all of which have their own JIRA projects. I need to create a single view of all of the releases across the programme. I have therefore created a board with a filter query that looks at multiple projects however the Release icon does not appear in side panel as I hoped.

Is this possible? Is there a solution to this? 

Lee Elliott December 5, 2018

I've just done the same. I'm looking for a way to see all of the releases for my teams, but there does not seem to be an easy way.

I'm looking into a custom report and will let this thread know if I find a solution.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer