Is it possible to create Xray Test Sets and Executions as sub items

nikolay kostov October 21, 2016

I want to create Xray Test sets and mort of all Test Executions as sub items to JIRA Stories and Tasks. Is it technically possible and if so - how?

I want to keep my possibility to create those items as regular ones also.

2 answers

1 vote
Xpand IT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2017

Hi @nikolay kostov,

with Xray 2.0 you can create Sub Test Executions as sub-tasks of your stories: see details here.

How would you need to create Test Sets as sub-tasks? Test Sets are mainly used for organizing Tests, independently on execution related aspects.

If needed, you can always create multiple Sub Test Executions, each one containing the tests of specific Test Sets.

Would that address your needs?

Regards,

Xpand Add-ons

Julius Sudds June 21, 2019

In order to better organize the board and eliminate affecting scope it is essential to be able to create a Tests for a story as sub-tasks rather than a completely different jira story itself. Having a hierarchy better lets you see quickly on the board which test are for which stories without having to click in the jira ticket. So I can see two different ways this can be fixed:

A) gives us the ability to when we click "Create New Test" the new jira and created as a sub-task of the parent task/story/bug.

or

B) give us the ability to add Test Sets directly to the original jira itself. Meaning on any jira type we see fit, we can add test details, test runs, etc.

I'd prefer option A. with a three tier heirarchy

original jira ticket

|

-----> xray jira test details ticket (as sub task)

|

------> test executions (as sub-task of a sub-task) 

veeresh revadala May 12, 2020

Hi Julius, Were you able to figure out the resolution for the issue you mentioned or was there any alternate solution provided ? We have similar issue and looking out to have X ray issue types as sub-tasks for a story/defect

Thanks,

Veeresh

0 votes
Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2016

If you are looking for a test management tool in JIRA, it might be worth to have a look at synapseRT NextGen:

synapseRT NextGen major features:

• Centrally view & manage test cases
  • Organize/group test cases as tree
  • Import/export test cases with test steps
  • Plan tests from test suites/requirement
  • Parallel execution of test plan using test cycles
  • Create/link defects & attach artifacts to test execution
  • SynapseRT test reports & gadgets
  • Centrally view & manage requirements hierarchically
  • Requirement traceability matrix
  • Test coverage from requirement & coverage reports
  • JQL functions to search issues based on SynapseRT data