Is it possible to change the name of the "Resolved" status without losing functionality?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2016

There is a request to change "Resolved" to "Code Complete" in a workflow we use.  It seems like there is specialized functionality tied to the "Resolved" state.  Changing the step name doesn't do a bloody thing.

So it seems the only way I can do this is to create a copy of the workflow and remove "Resolved" and add a new state, and then recreate all the transitions with all of the conditions, post functions, etc.  

Or is there a way to just swap in a new state?

3 answers

0 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2016

Primarily, you could have renamed the status in JIRA administration using edit option. But, this change will reflect in all the projects in the JIRA instance, which is pretty risky.

I would support your path. It is better to take a copy of workflow, create new status and associate it with new transitions. It is a safe action. But you have to make sure two things are right.

• The  status name or status Id of "Resolved" are not used anywhere in the scripts.
  • The  transition name or transition Id from "Resolved" are not used anywhere in the scripts.
    If used, these has to be modified with new Ids.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016

But will I lose functionality, such as the created vs. resolved chart?

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016

Sorry, I didn't understand your functionality 'created vs. resolved chart'.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016
0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016

JIRA prevents you from removing statuses in an active workflow. That has nothing to do with the Resolved status itself. Any status behaves like that.

But even though you do have to create a copy of your workflow, you don't have to redo your transitions. You can easily add the Code Complete status, re-route your transitions that pointed to Resolved to Code Complete instead. and only when you've isolated Resolved do you delete it. Then you swap the old workflow with the new one in the workflow scheme and go through the migration wizard. I've done this a hundred times, it works perfectly every time.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016

I would not rename the Resolved Step or the Resolved status. Keep in mind that this is different than the Resolution field.

I would perform the following steps – 

1. Copy the workflow
  2. Add GreenCode Complete status to the workflow
  3. Using the Graphic Designer, drag all transitions that begin or end with Greenresolved to the new GreenCode Complete status
  4. Copy any State Properties to the new status, if there are any
  5. Remove the Greenresolved status from the workflow
  6. Assign the workflow to the workflow scheme
  7. Migrate your issues

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016

As for the graphic designer... if only I could use that.  My version is too old sad

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016

Oh! What version are you using? That's important.

The Created vs Resolved chart is PURELY based on whether or not a value is set in the Resolution field. The reason Resolved is named such is because you usually SET the Resolution when navigating to the Resolved status.

When navigating to Code Complete, be sure you bring up a Screen with the Resolution field on it. When navigating from Code Complete to an open status, be sure to clear the Resolution field. This will maintain the Created vs Resolved chart.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016

Hmmm.... prior to getting any answers here I made a quick & dirty workflow where I added a "Code Complete" step and edited the transitions to Resolved to point to that state, and moved the outgoing transitions, so for all intents and purposes the new state replaced Resolved.  I then transitioned a bunch of tickets to that state, changing their resolution to fixed.  I got no new issues on that chart.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2016

Turns out the ticket I used was very old, which brings up another interesting, but mostly unrelated point - newly resolved items don't appear if they were created over 30 days ago.

Suggest an answer