Is it possible to break down estimates so that development and testing estimates can be separate?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2018

The development team uses Jira to track their work.  Developers are expected to add estimates to most tickets.  However development time is only part of the overall time to close tickets - QA time is equally important, and in many cases may be much longer than development time.  We would like a way to estimate development and testing time separately rather than chucking it all into a single bucket.  Logging time should be separate so we can track dev vs QA time separately and easily.

2 answers

0 votes
Kia Duran September 5, 2019

Curious if you ever found a solution to your problem? We are dealing with the same thing and I have the same complaints about subtasks for all testing needs. 

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2019

Nope, the parent company got rid of the team before I got an answer.  Still curious though!

jenifer.gaia February 12, 2021

You can add a custom field in Jira, if your admins allow you to.  Mine wont and Im stuck without a solution 

0 votes
Ryan Fish
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2018

@Rob Horan

A simple way to separate QA v dev tasks/ estimates is to use labels and query. The sub-tasks would need to be separate for dev and QA for this to work. Build a dashboard to consume the query data and present based on dev label and qa label.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2018

We thought about this approach and ruled it out long ago. 

The first problem is this would double our ticket set. The second problem is that someone would have to create EVERY ticket for testing.  The third problem is we have dev estimates on subtasks, so then we would need additional subtasks to pair with the existing dev subtasks, which would make management EXTREMELY painful.

Like # people like this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2019

So the more I see how Jira is used (in an Agile, and particularly Scrum manner) the more uncomfortable I am with the number of tickets that get generated.  One little feature could have 10 or more tickets associated with it, stories, tests, etc.  Aie dios mio.

Suggest an answer