Is it possible to add all users to a new group?

motherg February 28, 2017

I've been tasked with simplifying our JIRA permission scheme and groups setup (it's an absolute mess at the moment - easily the worst I've ever seen in any company I've worked at).

So my thoughts were "sure, I'll just add everyone to a new group", but I can't see a way of doing that? We've got about 600 active users so doing it one by one would suck.

The other option is use one of the default groups, but it appears that we don't have any one group that has all our users in....which likely means some people have been removed from the default groups.

Even discussing this could come up with other solutions so I'm open to anything. I'm a bit limited as we use JIRA Cloud.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2017

Niclas is right – the REST API is a good way to go. Bob Swift's JIRA Command Line Interface makes that really easy. There's an "Add user to group with file" option that might work well for you:

https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JCLI/Reference#Reference-addUserToGroupWithFile

motherg March 3, 2017

Thanks both - I'm going to see where I can get to with the REST API. I've been an admin for years but I always try and do stuff through the tool rather than trying to get it to do stuff it doesn't let you do by default, but this should be a good learning opportunity.

1 vote
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2017

Hi!

If it's available I would use the bulk edit group membership. I don't have access to JIRA Cloud and I'm not able to find the documentation for this. It looks like this in JIRA Server.

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 13.49.21.png

With some shift magic selecting the first and last should tick all the ones in between. 

If this is not applicable I would utilise the REST API.

https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#api/2/group-addUserToGroup

Good luck!

motherg March 1, 2017

Thanks for that suggestion - unfortunately it doesn't look like that on Cloud - what version of JIRA are you on? I remember that screen but I think it has been gone for a while - could be due to Cloud.

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2017

This is JIRA server 7.2 but I also see it in 7.3. If no bulk actions are possible in the GUI I would recommend doing it with REST API then. smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events