Is it possible to add additional roles to a ticket?

Niclas Axelsson March 8, 2017

Hi,

My team and I are using JIRA quite heavily and we recently added a new role which is the verification of a story. We also added an additional column for this on our board. Now I'm a bit curious if there's any way to add an additional role to the ticket. So in addition to "Assignee" one could have "Tester" or something like that in order to keep traceability and also it's easy for the tester to find the one responsible for the implementation he/she is testing.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2017

"Role" has a specific meaning in JIRA-speak (which is very annoying, because I want to say reporter, assignee and so-on are roles in the sense the word is used in English). A role is a function that goes across projects, so you can say things like "Dave is a developer in ABC and CDE, and Jane is a tester in CDE and DEF"

I'm going to assume the English meaning, not the JIRA-speak one.

I'm not sure how you would "add a role" as a column into a board.  A role implies a specific thing that a user is set to do with an issue - assignee, owner, developer, tester etc.  A board column is one or more status in the process flow, not a person.  So I'm a little confused there.

But, if you want "tester" on issues, it's very easy - add a custom field to the system, call it "tester" and use a "user-picker" type field.  You'll be able to put real users into it, search for them and so-on

Niclas Axelsson March 8, 2017

Thanks Nic. The custom field is exactly what I want. Thanks for that!

Suggest an answer