Is command line interface available without Bob Swift plugin?

Laura B Livnat May 16, 2016

I would like to automate my queries in JIRA and perhaps Confluence. Is a CLI available in JIRA without purchasing an ad-on? My company has a 100 server licenses for Jira, confluence, big picture, and  helpdesk, and we are done buying add ons.

2 answers

3 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2016

Interface with the JIRA REST API (https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/). You will have to do some coding. This is the closest thing you will come up with a "CLI".

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2016

The jira-python package at https://pythonhosted.org/jira/ has a CLI named jirashell

You can use it from shell scripts etc without much programming

Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2016

Another option, especially if you're Linux based, might be curl, combined with jq

2 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2016

What Gabrielle said is very true. But at 100 users, the CLI plugin is quite cheap. The ROI is pretty good compared to coding REST commands. You could spend dozens of dev hours trying to come close to the CLI and not have anything as robust or as well-documented.

My advice is to make quick calculations for dev costs and see which solution is cheaper for the scale of what you need. My bet is on the CLI.

Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2016

+1

For  $230 the first year and $115 each year thereafter, you simply can't write any significant amount of code. I consider the CLI plugins a pretty good deal. 

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2016

Bob's CLI is a great series of add-ons. But if you want to be able to use any part of the REST API then you may need a tool such as  https://pythonhosted.org/jira/

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2016

That's sweet. Thanks Matt!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events