Is a training instance for 1000 users available

Rohini Kumar May 5, 2020

We are planning to build a  custom solution for a 1000 business users on Jira Core. They are clinical background and may not have prior experience with Jira.  There is a requirement for a 'Training' instance or environment  that needs to be separate from a Dev/QA/Prod environment so that is remains stable for training purpose. A demo environment may work as well. 

Is there an option to setup  a training instance/environment for a 1000 business users. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew Stublefield
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2020

When you buy a Jira license (server/DC), I believe it comes with a development/staging license. If you haven't already used this, you could use that staging key for your training instance.

If you're already using that key for your development instance and don't want trainees on it, I'm afraid you might have to buy another key.

All of our activity workbooks included with the courses on Learn for Jira recommend using a non-production instance for training, but I've thought through a few ways to do this on production if there isn't an alternative. You can create a training sandbox project that trainees use for hands-on learning and is only available to the trainees, or even create several training projects to segment your learners. If you need to train admins, which is presumably a smaller population, you could potentially setup another Jira instance with a smaller user tier license.

Full disclosure: I'm the Head of Adaptavist Education and the PM for Learn for Jira (L4J). But I've also helped companies deliver training at scale with limited resources, and training projects with restricted permission schemes (so that training issues don't appear in general JQL searches, among other things) is one of the approaches I have used before.

Rohini Kumar May 5, 2020

Thank you Matthew. 

Suggest an answer