Is Jira metadata automatically captured in submitted issues or does this depend on configuration?

Olga Toverovskaya November 5, 2020

I am creating an issue collector and would like to know if it's same to assume that some metadata (e.g. date submitted) is captured by the system.  Not sure if this depends on how my local instance of instance is configured.  TIA. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2020

Olga,

I am not positive what you mean by meta data.  When an issue is submitted the date created would technically be the date submitted.  There are other fields that are auto populated on creation as well.  If you are hoping to capture information outside of the general fields that are populated when an issue is created you would have to configure it to do that.

Olga Toverovskaya April 30, 2021

Hi Brant, that answers it.  Thank you. I meant to ask whether date created is captured by the system out of the box.  I now see that yes it is.  Any chance you may be able to help with today's question about how to automatically trigger an automation rule to run any time there's a change to a field?  Thank you!! olga

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

@Olga Toverovskaya - Monitoring a change to any field would be difficult as you would need to specify all the fields that you want to watch.  Can you explain a little more about what you are trying to do so I can better understand and recommend a solution?

Olga Toverovskaya April 30, 2021

@Brant Schroeder, really appreciate the quick reply!  Here is the skinny: 

I have a parent-child situation going on with my issues.  End users submit issues through the issue collector, issues are tracked in the parent project and then passed to child projects where development teams work them off.  The issues are cloned as they go from the parent to the child.  That is all working great and the status changes are reflected at both levels (parent and child).  What isn't updated is all the other fields.  So if let's say the dev team creates a sub-task, that sub-task stays at the child level and the sub-task is never reflected in the parent project.  Who knows what else those dev teams will come up with?!  Whatever it is, I would like every change to be automatically reflected in the parent project.  Does that make sense?  I am asking for this because the manager of the parent project needs transparency into every little thing without having to open multiple projects.  I am experimenting with the Updated field.  My hope is that if the date the issue was updated changes, that means the issue was changed in some way, and so the linked issue should be updated.  If you think that will work, how do I say "update the original issue from which the current issue was cloned"?  I'm very new to Jira and really appreciate anything you can suggest.  Thanks in advance. Olga  

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2021

@Olga Toverovskaya You could use the updated field to initiate an automation. I think this will still be a lot of work.  You should take a look at JSU or ScriptRunner.  They are apps that cost extra but I have used them in the past to keep issues synced.  You might consider looking at a better means of reporting than cloning and syncing.  Cloning and Syncing causes a lot of overhead on the instance and if you create proper dashboards you can have the same insights and help move work forward.

Suggest an answer