Is Jira Suitable for non-application Wordpress website development or is it overkill ?

Gerry Hanan December 23, 2015

I need a solution for managing wordpress site development and was looking at Jira, and couldn't tell if it is suitable, or overkill, as it seems it is more suited to larger scale application development. 

I need to track dev resources, time, cost, have a elevated overall project view with component status visibility (content, visual assets, wireframing, design etc), and other element status like stakeholder signoff at different stages of development. Finally, I want the team to have visibility to UAT progress etc., 

Lastly, for the self hosted version, I have a Seagate nas running windows server 2012 - would that work for the self hosted version ?

Cheers

Gerry H

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2015

It might be overkill, but with your list of requirements, I actually think it's probably a good fit!  There's a LOT of 10-user sites out there using JIRA because it can do so much and works for a small team, as well as huge development shops with thousands of users.

Your server spec should be ok, just remember to allocate enough memory to JIRA and stop anti-virus software from scanning it all the time - that's a performance killer.

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2015

I agree with Nic. (Damn, he's quick!)

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2015

@Martin Cleaver [Blended Perspectives] @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] is too quick it is no wonder he is the top of the leaderboard! No one else gets a chance to get an answer in.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2015

In addition to the comments from @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] it is worth spending a few moments considering the approach that you want to take to managing your development process in advance of setting up your first JIRA project.

If you want to commit to batches of work and have regular cycles of releases then Scrum is the better fit.

If you want to work on a more continuous deployment approach of always picking up the next highest priority activity then Kanban is more appropriate.

With the Agile boards for Scrum or Kanban it is also worth customising your quickfiltes and swimlanes to give you views of the actions. Picking up on one point in your comments, regarding UAT progress, I would have a specific issue type called UAT (as a subtask) and then have a quickfilter with 'issuetype = UAT' to enable a very quick view of what is in UAT at any point.

Hope this helps

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events