Is Administration feature set between Cloud and Server the same?

Jeff Kozloff August 14, 2016

The documentation speaks about how the content is in regards to Cloud setup, but it is not clear if feature set when working as an administrator is same for Server license. Is the feature set the same, or is there a difference (i.e. limitation) for cloud vs. server? I'm trying to understand clearly what features I may lose if I chose cloud over server-side.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2016

The first aspect to be aware of is that features are released to cloud prior to server so there will be occasions when functionality is available in cloud and not in server. However, this should only be a temporary difference. 

The main functionality between cloud and server (for matching versions) will be very similar. The main aspect that will differ is in the availability of plugins and how they work.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2016

You'll also find one big difference in admin - on Server, you'll have full admin, plus the option of "JIRA admins" who can do less of the system stuff.  On Cloud, you do not get system admin at all, just JIRA admins.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-global-permissions-802592439.html for the differences.

1 vote
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2016
0 votes
Jeff Kozloff August 15, 2016

Thank you all for your feedback!  

@Matt Doar [ServiceRocket], your feedback is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Suggest an answer