Integration with Microsoft Teams

Mamuka August 28, 2017

Does anyone know how to integrate Jira (core, service desk and/or software) with MIcrosoft Teams Tab? I know there's a connector, but not a tab, where you can actually manage issues from Microsoft Teams like you were inside Jira.

13 answers

5 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2018

@Josiah_Sansone I'm 100% using teams and on prem jira.    In teams, select the jira connector, it will walk you through how to make a webhook in Jira to talk to teams.

Josiah_Sansone February 12, 2018

@Gregory Van Den Ham I figured it out - the connector is now called "JIRA Cloud", but once you install it, it provides a webhook that works in either on-prem or Cloud.  thanks!

Like # people like this
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2018

Awesome, and thanks for the feedback! :)

Ajeesh Damodaran April 11, 2018

Do you know if it is somehow possible to create jira tickets from within teams? am using Jira server.

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2018

Not currently.  The MS Teams team was still working on a bunch of functionality to the entire product right now last I checked.  They have a roadmap published here.

Like Chris Moore likes this
Michelle Bachmann May 11, 2018

What version of JIRA Server are you using?  We're on 7.2.0 and I'm unable to configure the connector as you have described.

Alice Chou July 19, 2018

Also on-prem problem

My JIRA server is in Intranet
How can it connect with the Microsoft teams

Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018
Alice Chou July 19, 2018

This tools only send notification to Teams about the issue create/modify from JIRA, I would like to explore the way to allow create/modify issue from Teams to JIRA

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2018

Hi Alicia.  It works onprem as long as jira can talk to the internet and you setup webhooks as described.   

Teams to jira integration - I haven’t seen developed yet.  Slack does it as I recall but teams not yet.   Command line stuff for teams is in roadmap.

Bill Miller August 27, 2018

@Gregory Van Den Hamand @Ajeesh Damodaran,

I have a functional "Create Issue" button in my Teams.

However, the columns I use in the Filter are ignored by Teams.  (bummer!).

CreateIssue Button.png

Abhay March 12, 2020

Stuck with the same Issue! 

Amit Saini January 27, 2021

How did you do that @bilbo13?

Like # people like this
3 votes
Andreas_Neubacher October 2, 2017

I've added MS Teams "Website" tabs with Jira URLs to MS Teams Channels.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I did this to group channels and their relevant Jira pages.  The Jira pages are embedded in the resp. MS Teams tab - although personally I prefer to open them in a separate browser window.

tpsops_pfpttest November 14, 2017

This is what I'm doing and it works great. Each user will need to authenticate to the tab but it save a lot of time and navigation needs. 

Like Raphaël Borges Correia likes this
Paul Emmons December 7, 2018

Add the Jira Cloud tab to your team this enables Set up options found by following these steps:

1. Go to the [Apps] tab within Manage team screen view
    • tabs -> [Members] [Pending Requests] [Channels] [Settings] [Apps]
  2. Open the Jira Cloud utility by selecting the description text 
    • the only action icon here is delete - which is misleading - do not delete, selecting the text in the middle of the row
  3. Once open find the word --> Available <-- this opens the options that the  'options' dropdown arrow only displays.
  4. A new window opens and now you have Set up options

NOW - ALTHOUGH IT SAYS JIRA CLOUD AND ONLY DISPLAYS 4 OPTIONS: BOT, TAB, CONNECTOR, MESSAGING...

• You can have as many connections as you'd like for each option.
  • Jira Server and Jira Cloud and JSD all will connect from here

PITFALLS

• Messaging and Bot Search - do not search or find issues by the issue numbers
  • JQL queries are done from Atlassian Admin webhook panel
  • Consider limiting notification a single team with multiple notification on channels or you run the risk to distracting the team with your workflow.
  • ....I could go on and on, you're welcome to contact me with questions. Since implementing Teams I've basically become an Application Manager vs Project Management since it basically requires attention full time. Oh how we miss HipChat.
Like # people like this
Kwame Afreh May 22, 2019

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing this. I have one question. How do I restrict Jira access in MS teams?

Gülüzar Dingersu July 5, 2019

As I know, you have to do the restriction in Jira and not in MS Teams. So you have only one single point of authorization. All restrictions in Jira are then still working in the MS Teams environment.

Like Michał Ezman likes this
Gustavo Segura February 3, 2020

We do miss HipChat...

Stefan Dudas April 1, 2020

In the step 3, I am not able to find the word "Available". Is it still there?

Like Stuart Helwig likes this
2 votes
Kwame Afreh June 7, 2019

I am using Jira Cloud, and I have created a Next-Gen project. 

Integration with teams works fine, and I have the "Create issue" button visible and working, however, as Bill Miller indicated, teams ignore some of the fields. In my case, it shows Summary, Description, Priority and Assignee.

Capture.PNG

RArney June 11, 2019

Same here, Jira Cloud; only exception is I did not create a Next-Gen project. I too have a visible, 'working' "Create issue" button within Teams that is ignoring fields. It shows me the same fields as you (Kwame) list above (Summary, Description, Priority and Assignee). The main problem with this is that we have another field (e.g. State) that is required for setting up new issues. Therefore, trying to create an issue through Teams will not work - it does provide the validation message "State is required." - but does not show the State field to enter/select a value.1.png2.png3.png

Like # people like this
Daan van Reenen July 2, 2019

Hi, we have the same.

I solved it by adding our account on the Jira website not as an app but as a website (go to your account on the website, copy the URL and paste it as a website in Teams in a new tab). 

Then it says, in the web version of Teams, that Jira refuses to connect or something like that, but it suggests to go to the desktop version. I installed the desktop version, and there it works ok! 

1 vote
Sandra Stevenson-Revill July 31, 2018

Additional question: The integration mentioned above works by sending  Jira data through a third party site, that does not meet our data security requirements are there any other options

Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2018

Hi @Sandra Stevenson-Revill

The integration above does not send any data to any 3rd party sites (if you are talking about Jira/Confluence/Bitbucket Server Apps. 

The data goes directly to Microsoft Teams.

Like Swamy Natarajan likes this

this listing states '

This vendor has not completed the security self-assessment.

Cloud app vendors are encouraged to complete a yearly self-assessment of their data security practices. This information is self-reported by vendors, and Atlassian is not responsible for the security or integrity of this app.'

and when you go to install it says:

Microsoft Teams for Jira Cloud may store your data on SoftServe's server so it can integrate with your JIRA instance. As needed for integration, this add-on can:

• Delete JIRA data
  • Write data to JIRA
  • Read JIRA data

By installing the app, you agree to SoftServe's privacy policy.

Like # people like this
Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2018

OK, it is not us (Move Work Forward) and you presented the standard template text.

Does you solution work with Jira cloud??

Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2018
1 vote
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2017

There is a connector on Marketplace: 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/jira-microsoft-teams-connector/cloud/overview

I'm sorry I haven't tested the connector myself, but hoping it helps you proceed or least be aware of more options. 

Mamuka August 30, 2017

Thanks. I will as I mentioned in my question it doesn't do what I want as it simply posts notifications in a channel about certain events in jira. 

What I'm looking for is a tab that basically will display jira from within the team as an iframe. 

Such tab exists for Astana and wrike.

marcsyp October 13, 2017

I'm looking for a similar connector for Bitbucket.  The one on the Marketplace appears to be broken.  Any thoughts?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/bitbucket-microsoft-teams-connector/cloud/overview

Thanks,

Marc

Like Peter Walter likes this
0 votes
Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2020

Hi everybody,

Here I recoded a short (or not so short) video demo on how you can connect Confluence Server or Data Center with Microsoft Teams using our Microsoft Teams Confluence Connector. It is only the beginning, we are adding many more cool features in the following months (App Store bot for 2-way integration, scheduled reports and alerts, etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPjuZMziZgA

As always, if you need a FREE consultation on how to connect Microsoft Teams with Atlassian products please schedule one here.

0 votes
Tiago Ferreira fernandes September 5, 2019

I try to use the jira cloud but, when i try to connect, its require to use a URL like *.jira.com but my companny use on-premisse jira and the URL used to conect use a different patter like jira.company.com, how can i connect?

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2019

Hi @Tiago Ferreira fernandes , for a connection to a jira onpremise server, use the ‘jira server’ teams app.  For jira cloud instance, use ‘jira cloud’ teams app. 

Tiago Ferreira fernandes September 6, 2019

hi @Gregory Van Den Ham on teams app store i cant find the jira server only the cloud version.

and when i try to use the direct link https://teams.microsoft.com/l/app/6eacb5f0-68b0-46f0-9507-9e906c6861fc i receive the error bellow:

Capturar.PNG

Dwayne Pierre September 6, 2019

Guys,   there are no Jira options when i select connectors 

Teams connectors.JPG

0 votes
Huyen Huynh June 6, 2019

Need feedback/clarification please.  I'm trying to enable creation of JIRA tickets through MS Teams.  From articles and videos, it seems as though JIRA Cloud connector allows creation of JIRA tickets (via "Create" button or "create" command) from MS Teams. 

The issue is that we're using JIRA On-Premise.  I've tried installing/configuring both JIRA Cloud and JIRA Server connectors but both don't allow me to create JIRA tickets.  With JIRA Cloud connector, it requires a valid JIRA URL but I believe since I'm using JIRA On-Premise, this won't work (it rejects my on-premise URL).  This forces me to use JIRA Server connector which I don't believe allows me to create JIRA tickets.  

Is there a solution/workaround for creating JIRA tickets directly in MS Teams if I'm using JIRA On-Premise?  If so, can anyone provide configuration instructions?  The ones online aren't helpful.

josiahsansone June 7, 2019

Huyen,

I don't believe the JIRA Server connector allows creation of JIRA tickets. But you could use an issue collector from JIRA and probably embed it in a Teams page I imagine.  I don't know if anyone else has done that yet. https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/using-the-issue-collector-938847338.html

Huyen Huynh June 10, 2019

Thanks for the response, Josiah.  Someone from Microsoft responded (on another post):

"We are actively working on it. Expect it to be out in next few weeks."

...so I'll wait for this enhancement.

Like # people like this
Deleted user July 11, 2019

Hi,

I had the same answer today. I hope the "few weeks" won't be changed in "few years"

Paul Stewart July 27, 2019

Has this broken for anyone recently?  We were using Teams <-> JSD on premise integration for many months now and it just stopped working.  This happened one time previously and I rebuilt the connection .. worked again for about another month. This time however no matter what I try it simply doesn't work ... in meantime I ended up buying Raley Notifications and doing this via email.

Dwayne Pierre August 5, 2019

Hey Guys, 

any feedback on either  

Whether Jira SD on prem can connect with Teams to allow users to generates tickets via  "create" button 
Whether the  Microsft Teams webhook for Jira SD, Core has been disabled? 

Huyen Huynh August 23, 2019

Dwayne, you might want to follow this conversation as well: 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/New-Jira-Server-Integration-for-Microsoft-Teams/bc-p/759536#M3503

I haven't had a chance to set up so not sure if this works yet.

Like Dwayne Pierre likes this
Dwayne Pierre August 23, 2019

@Huyen Huynh  Maybe it is my tenant region ( Caribbean), but I am unable to get passed the first steps in the instructions 

How to get started

Install the Jira Server from Microsoft Teams app store

There is no Jira application in the Microsoft Teams app store 

0 votes
Shivani Bhosale April 3, 2019

Hello,

I am still new to JIRA and Teams.

I was told that JIRA needs to support HTTPS for the integration to Teams to work. Can it be done without HTTPS support. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2019

Hi,

@Shivani Bhosale, Microsoft Teams does not allow communication with Teams over not encrypted channels.

Why would you want to do it? What is the use case?

Like Pangeel Shubha likes this
Pangeel Shubha April 3, 2019

Hello, Shivani posted the question on behalf of me as I was having issues with my account. 

Our current JIRA instance does not support HTTPS. Hence we were wondering if we could integrate Teams without changing the current setup.

From your above comment, we understand it may not be possible to do so. 

Thank you for prompt reply. Please do let us know if there is some workaround.

Cheers.

Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2019

Hi @Pangeel Shubha , @Shivani Bhosale ,

It is possible. You can install Microsoft Teams Jira Connector for Server and Data Center. It will run in your environment and communicate with Microsoft Teams using SSL (Microsoft's one, as it is a one-way integration).

Cheers,
Leo

Like Pangeel Shubha likes this
0 votes
Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2019

Im on jira cloud and configured the webHook for testing purposes and none of the issues are actually getting posted to MS Teams.  Im not a MS Team admin so i cant see anything on their end, but anything i can ask them to look at that may need to be enabled to allow our webHook to post to MS teams? 

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2019

Potentially a MAC desktop Client issue.  The webhook work's when setting up from the web version of teams but does not work when setting up from desktop client at least on the follow os and version.  This has been reported to the Vendor. 

MS teams version: 1.0

MacOS: high Sierra  10.13.6

0 votes
Fredrik Lotto October 28, 2018

Is it possible to get the Jira Cloud kanban or sprint boards visible in Microsoft Teams?

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2018

I think Microsoft demonstrated this with VSTS but I haven't seen it yet for Jira, some of that functionality microsoft has been developing with their plugin.

0 votes
PAS May 17, 2018

I was on 7.5.0 and the Jira Cloud connector was working fine.

I then try the Incoming Webhook by Move Work Forward. This one did not work in 7.5.0. I then upgraded Jira server (on-prem) to 7.9.2 and tried again and it worked.

I am now able to get the push notification from Jira -> MS Teams.

How do I configure for the write back from MS Teams -> into my on-premise Jira server?

Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2018

What do you want to be able to do from Microsoft Teams?

PAS May 17, 2018

post chat and file share back into Jira.

Michelle Bachmann May 18, 2018

Thanks for your responses.  Another team member was able to configure the webhooks with MS teams. 

PAS May 18, 2018

What do you mean by that @Michelle Bachmann?

Like Wayne R likes this
0 votes
BV - dNovo November 17, 2017

Any luck with this?

In need of a connection betwee our Jira instance and MS teams. 

I would like to have Jira issues visible in teams. And furthermore commits visible in Jira tickets.

Anyone any advise?

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2017

Hello, the bots are freely available within teams already.  In teams, click the elipses (...) next to the channel name.  Select Connectors.   Jira, Trello and Bitbucket are listed.   Click configure.

It will typically walk you through how to setup.  For jira, its all webhook configuration.

Please don't buy an addon you don't need to buy.  Try the one that comes with teams first.

mattesauer December 8, 2017

Can you provide a link to further documentation on adding those connectors within Teams and whether they are part of a beta program or need to be installed by an admin?  My tenant only shows MS owned connectors ( VSTS, Yammer, Dynamics 365, etc )

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2017

Hi Matt, here's a reference from The university of Wisconsin.

You should be an admin of the team, and an admin in Jira.

Right click the channel and select connectors.

image0.png

Select Jira.

image1.png

Tony Choplin February 1, 2018

IS there an equivalent for Teams and Jira but with Jira on premise?

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2018

Hi Tony, I run Teams with the Jira integration with Jira On Premise.   The same documentation as above applies.

Josiah_Sansone February 9, 2018

Are you sure about that?  Our company is trying to decide on Slack, Microsoft Teams, or other solutions and it seems that the Teams integration requires "JIRA Cloud for microsoft Teams" add-on, which is only available for JIRA Cloud.  It doesn't seem on-prem is supported

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2018

Unless you go for Hipchat or Stride, you're going to have to mess around with add-ons to get your Atlassian stuff to talk to you.

Like Koen Gillard likes this
Kane McConnell July 27, 2018

I'm only seeing the same as @mattesauer. In Teams for Mac, there are only about a half-dozen connectors from Microsoft apps. Nothing from JIRA or any others for that matter. Is there something that needs to happen with the Teams account to see the rest of the connectors?

Kane McConnell July 27, 2018

Actually, I found the connector list is unbelievably short in the Teams app for Mac. Found the connector by going into the Teams web app in Chrome.

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2018

Cheers.

mattesauer July 27, 2018

Thanks for the reference @Kane McConnell because it reminded me I never posted back my solution.  I didn't have access to our O365 Admin Center so I worked with a Global admin to add additional available apps.  This is done in the Admin Center > Settings > Services & add-ins > Teams > Apps.  By default only a few were selected ( presumably based on what was available upon our tenant creation).

There's a message that this administration is moving to a new separate admin portal for teams and skype.  I don't see the apps settings in my view currently within that portal but there may be different instructions to accomplish this in the near future.

DS August 17, 2018

Before using the connector, read the rules for using this extension. Using Jira addon for MS Teams you give the developer Softserve Inc. (Ukraine) the right to use all the contacts in a group (contacts of your employees and clients who are working on the project). For me this is not permissible and I'm looking for another solution.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer