Installation of Jira Core with existing Apache and MySQL Server

Marko Hermsen June 1, 2017

I'll be installing Jira Core on a server and have several questions (mostly whether the installation of Jira Core will interfere with any already installed software):

The server we intend to use Jira Core on already has Apache and MySQL running for our regular website. It is running Ubuntu 64-bit in a VM.

Can I install Jira Core using the 64bit Linux bin?

Will the installation of Jira Core in any way cause problems with our regular website running on the same server?

If I understand everything correctly, I can just install Jira Core, and afterwards use this link to make it accessible through a subdomain, while our regular website is still available through our main domain?

Our MySQL database is also used for several other applications that we developed, will installation of Jira Core just create another database while leaving the rest untouched?

I hope someone can elucidate a bit on these questions, as it is not entirely clear what happens during the installation of Jira Core. Thanks! 

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2017

It is fine to install JIRA Core in a server that already has another Apache and MySQL instance.

Regarding the DB, you need to configure an external DB for a production installation of JIRA. It is not recommended to use the embedded DB. In your case, it might make sense to use the same MySQL instance after creating a new schema but it is up to you. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/connecting-jira-applications-to-a-database-802592175.html for more details.

And yes, you can use the same Apache to proxy JIRA.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events