Inherit custom field values from parent item

Hello,

What should be the syntax to inherit multiple custom field values from parent Task using quick subtasks add-on?

Can you someone share a sample?

Thank you

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Micha Kops
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2016

@raghav.bhatlapenumerthi@innovapptive.com You need to wait until release 4.0 of the plugin is published on the marketplace. Then you may inherit multiple custom fields using this syntax:

- Summary / cfield:"fieldname1:@inherit" cfield:"fieldname2:@inherit"

For more detailed information, please feel free to have a look at the dedicated feature request in the project's issue tracker here:

https://bitbucket.org/hascode/jira-quick-subtasks/issues/39/inherit-custom-fields-from-parent-issue

Cheers

Micha

Hi Micha, Will that be a paid plugin or just an update that works on top of the existing quick sub tasks plugin? Thanks Raghav

Micha Kops
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2016

@raghav.bhatlapenumerthi@innovapptive.com It's an update of my existing quick subtasks plugin and like all of my plugins it will be for free!

Thanks! and when is that update going to be available for users like us?

Micha Kops
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2016

Soon, the plugin is in the final testing stage.

Okay! looking forward for the updated release then. Thank you!

Micha Kops
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2016

You're welcome! Please feel free to mark your question here as "answered" :)

Done!

Hi Micha,

Can you confirm this syntax once, I have installed the updated version of QST.
- Sub-task Start phase / Component/s:”@inherit” / Deployment Type:”@inherit” / Product:”@inherit” / Customer build Version:”@inherit” / Platform_OS:”@inherit” 

In our case, Sub-task Start phase is a issue type and I want from the parent while I make the transition this sub task upon creation should get the required fields to be inherited.
Please advise.
0 votes
Jatin Pagnis May 31, 2017

Hi Micha,

I require some help I am using JIRA 7.2.1 and I want to know that how to write following query in create multiple sub tasks section popup . I have tried and I ended up doing following but still it is not working ..

Summary / cfield:"Owner:\"id\"" / cfield:"Due Date/Time:\"2014-12-24 22:30\"" /

do you have anyword around behind this for the fields which needs text(string) fromats.

Micha Kops
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2017

Hi Jatin,

what a subtask do you want to create?

An issue's due-date is no custom-field and you may set it via duedate:"date" as documented here: https://bitbucket.org/hascode/jira-quick-subtasks/wiki/Home#markdown-header-due-date

A complete overview of the supported syntax can be found here: https://bitbucket.org/hascode/jira-quick-subtasks/wiki/Home

A valid subtask template might be something like this:

- Summary / assignee:"admin" duedate:"2014-12-24"
Jatin Pagnis June 1, 2017

Hi Micha,

Thanks for the help and documentatations shared.

As I am aware of "duedate" and "assignee" fields that how to use them but here what I posted above is something new requirement.

Because Owner and Due Date/Time are 2 custom fields which are running if I use following syntax which is mentioned in documentation you have shared -->

- Summary / cfield:"Owner:@inherit" / cfield:"Due Date/Time:"@inherit" /

but the above syntax is just for inheriting the values from parent task for the mentioned fields and I want the syntax having dynamic values that can be change like following -->

- Summary / cfield:"Owner:jatin.pagnis" / cfield:"Due Date/Time:"2014-12-24 22:30" /

but this syntax is not working. any help will be much appreciated ... I am stuck in this ..

Micha Kops
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2017

Hi Jatin,

it's important to know that due to the complexity of custom fields, only a subset of custom-field-types is supported for inheriting their values or haven their values assigned.

https://bitbucket.org/hascode/jira-quick-subtasks/wiki/Home?_ga=2.67377617.1319070921.1496313114-822622519.1365073294#markdown-header-custom-fields-assigning

At the this moment, these are (for assignment):

• Text Field (Single Line)
  • Number Field
  • Text Field (Multi Line)
  • Select List (Single Choice)

The following types may be inherited:

• Checkboxes
  • Date Picker
  • Number Field
  • URL Field
  • User Picker (single user)
  • Select List (multiple choices)
  • Date Time Picker

If you need more detailed information about what's going on and you have access to your JIRA's log files, you may increase the log level as documented here: https://bitbucket.org/hascode/jira-quick-subtasks/wiki/Home?_ga=2.67377617.1319070921.1496313114-822622519.1365073294#markdown-header-debugging-and-logging

Also if you need to address one of JIRA's custom-field-types that are currently not supported or you think you have found a bug, please feel free to file a feature/bug-request in the project's issue tracker here: https://bitbucket.org/hascode/jira-quick-subtasks/issues

Jatin Pagnis June 2, 2017

Hi Micha,

Thanks for the post.

Can you please upload these things for me in project tracker issue  because I am not able to upload it as it is giving error at my end.

Thanks -

0 votes
Arunkumar S April 29, 2016

Hi Micha,

Any way to get it done in JIRA v6.4.12?

0 votes
Micha Kops
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2016

Hi Raghav,

please feel free to have a look at the documentation for a full description of the valid syntax as well as the custom field types that are currently supported:

https://bitbucket.org/hascode/jira-quick-subtasks/wiki/Home#markdown-header-custom-fields

• Checkboxes
  • Date Picker
  • Number Field
  • URL Field
  • User Picker (single user)
  • Select List (multiple choices)
  • Date Time Picker
0 votes

Hi Micha,

This syntax worked: - Summary / cfield:"fieldname1:@inherit" cfield:"fieldname2:@inherit"

However, a custom field of type: select from drop down doesn't inherit the value from parent.

Secondly, a field of type: label type text entered in the field is also not inherited.

Field names are like this, should we add something to the spaces in between?

Deployment Type 

Customer build Version

Please explain.

Thank you!

Raghav

Suggest an answer