Incremental archive Jira

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2016

We have an instance of Jira where we have implemented our business processes, but this instance is very large, we want to archive the old issues but not all issues and in the future we want to archive other issues in the same projets.
Can we do it ?
Jira backup project accept incremental restore ?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2016

The internal xml backup is not incremental, every run is a complete backup of everything.

You should be using the database tools provided with your back-end database to do backups, and you should be looking to them to see if they do incrementals.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2016

But neither approach allows you to do an incremental backup of the user data in a way that you can access them in another archive JIRA instance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2016

Very true.  Even with an incremental backup of a database, all you can do is reproduce an entire JIRA system at the time it was last backed up.  It's useless for any form of import

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2016

Thank you @Nic Brough and @Matt Doar

So , we cannot have easily the incremental backup , JIRA with its natives tools doesn't let us to do it.
We can do it with the database using tools and we have to ensure if it's incremental and we could encounter problems in the futres too , if any changes will be done on production instance.

So what can you advise to me ? we want to have two Jira instance one production and an other as is her archive.
Thanks in advance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2016

You'll need to fit your "archive" rules around the software.  The easiest one would probably be a rule that says "we only archive a project when it is ended".  Do the full xml export, move it over to the archive server and import just that project (remember you'll need to set up the project in there first.  There's a couple of utilities in the marketplace that can help you take the setup over - Awnba and Botron for example)

However, also bear in mind that your archive setup is likely to drift away from production.  What happens if you delete a global or shared custom field from production?  You'll need to think about every archive move quite carefully.

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2016

Thanks 

Just , in our company our business processes don't have an end , not like IT projects or other.
The project could end, for example like claims projects, all day customers claim.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2016

"By project, when they end" is a nice simple rule, but it sounds wrong for you.  You'll need to come up with one that works for you, then we can talk about how to get there.

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2016

For example by issues status? or by creation date ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2016

That's fine, but it makes the transfer into your archive massively harder.  You'll need a way to get those issues individually out and into the archive. 

Off the shelf, there's nothing that does that.  There are add-ons that might help, but you'll need to try all of them to work out which works best for you.

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2016

Can you give me some   plugins name or links  which might help me ? or contacts expert who can help us to do it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2016

Ok, for the configuration stuff (getting the config of a project in Live into your Archive so you can import issues later), I'd look for Botron and Awnba's products.  I've only used Botron, and it works well, but I can't speak for Awnba's stuff.

For transferring issues, I've recently been using K15t's Backbone.  We're struggling with it at the moment but suspect the issues are down to the client's complexity, not the add-on, as the testing we did showed it to work fine with test data.  This could allow you to replicate issue updates from production to the archive, and then, I think, not replicate deletes.  So "archiving" an issue would actually mean "delete it from production, but leave the archived copy in place"

As usual, there are probably other add-ons that could help, the ones I've mentioned are just the ones I'm aware of.

For contacting an expert, I'm always going to say "Talk to Adaptavist".  Because I work for them and I know it's stuff we have done before (in fact, right now, the current project).  In real life, you should evaluate the options based on your own criteria for experts.  If, for example, you value your experts visiting you, you'll probably be better off selecting one physically near you.  Take a look at https://www.atlassian.com/experts/search?page=1

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2016

Thank you so much smile

Ray Widaman January 9, 2018

Were you able to determine a solution for this question that met your criteria to archive by creation date?  My team is looking for something similar where we would archive issues older than X date from our Production Jira to an Archive Jira instance.  We are researching options now and I found this thread that closely matches what we want to do.

Thanks,

Ray

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2018

Hi @Ray Widaman

I have left the company whitout implement the solution , but i had thought to dvelop a plugin whcih could doin this task

maybe in the future i will do it

but you could use plugins told in and answer  of Nic

Suggest an answer