Incoming e-mail filtering in JIRA

Kamil Beer [Onlio] March 17, 2016

Hello,

is there a way to filter incoming e-mail to different projects? A client of ours has one e-mail address for various clients and he'd appreciate an option to automatically having incoming e-mails from different clients filtered into projects or epics. I am asking if this is possible through 1 e-mail, if he would need to have several e-mail addresses or if this isn't possible at all; and if it is possible, can it be done in Core or Service desk? Or through which add-on?

Thanks!

6 answers

0 votes
Patrick M. Hausen August 15, 2018

We use Service Desk in conjunction with JETI (Email This Issue) for incoming mail. Works great. JEMH has got a gazillion more features but is really tricky to get right. JETI does what we need so we stick to that.

HTH,
Patrick

0 votes
Craig Finnegan March 22, 2017

hey guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but wanted to confirm while this works great in JIRA, Service Desk email handling has regressed so there is NO way to do this with Service Desk projects? JIRA Mail Handlers will not work with service desk projects it appears and the new/built-in handlers for Service desk have NO features/options (not even per folder) - is this correct?

Does anyone know of any addons/otherwise that could resolve this? Either using mail aliases (ie the catch-all route on JIRA core) or even just having service desk pull from a specific FOLDER and I can sort into folders at the email account level. This is a concern with exchange online as we need to pay per-mailbox and it's a waste to have to create multiple full-user licenses just for each service desk. Any ideas? Thanks

Amir Hadi January 19, 2018

I have the exact problem, we need to be able to configure the catch email address. Otherwise this can get expensive if you have multiple projects in a hosted email provider (like Google Apps)

Nathan Jackson April 3, 2018

We too have this issue; If I am following this correctly there is filtering functionality in the cloud version of JIRA Service Desk but not on the Server?  I would expect the opposite.

0 votes
Kamil Beer [Onlio] March 17, 2016

Thanks guys, you have been a great help.

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 17, 2016

I believe this is not possible in JIRA with a single email address without any addons.

JIRA mail handlers will listen on a single address and will create issues in the project configured for them.

What you can do is to have email address aliases. Aliases are created for a real email account. Your client could have a dedicated email alias.

Having aliases, you can add multiple mail handlers listening on the same email account but configured with different Catch Email Address. Catch Email Address specifies the address the mail handlers check when selecting the emails to process.

There are a few addons that can work on a single email address and still route issues to different projects depending on the sender's email address or domain.

• Email This Issue supports this definitely, here are some details in the documentation. THis addon is server only yet
  • JEMH is another addon that supports this, but I do not know it too much, it is available on premise and in the cloud as well.

Tibor

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2016

I would recommend JEMH. It's very flexible and will give you lots of options. It's not exactly super easy to configure, but you would have more options.

1. You could configure your solution so that emails sent by sender A creates Epics, and email sent from Client B's address creates bugs
  2. You could Have different email distribution lists and give each client a different one (clientname-support@yourcompany.com). JEMH can perform different actions depending on the email address that was used to send the email ticket, even if all emails end up in the same actual JIRA mailbox. 
0 votes
Nelson Carranza
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2016

Hi Kamil,

JIRA give you the option to specify the folder name that the mail handler will use; therefore, in your email address you can create as many folder as you need and some rules to place the emails in the correct folder.

image2016-3-17 10:2:47.png

Regards

Nelson

0 votes
Robert Barrow
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2016

Kamil,

In my opinion it is easier to set-up discrete Mail Handlers i.e. have a dedicated and unique email address for each project.

This can be done in JIRA Core:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-185729464.html

Note: JIRA Service Desk has it's own Email Handlers:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver030/receiving-requests-by-email-761768815.html

Good luck!

Rob

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events